Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Quick question!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quick question!
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a post-something infection or a post-infectious something (throat/chest), and I've been told that I'm not allowed to kiss people. Does this also mean I can't give oral sex? Or is it just mouth to mouth kissing that wouldn't be allowed? (I appreciate that actually catching the name of what I have would probably help, but the GP I saw spoke very very quickly.)
Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Techie,

If you have anything infectious, it's sound not to give oral sex. While the person is not likely to get a chest infection through their genitals, engaging in oral sex when we're sick can spread germs increasing the risks of genital infection.

It's just sound not to engage in sexual activities when we're sick anyway, as sex brings us in close contact with other people, putting them at risk for catching what we have, and putting us at risk of catching something else from them while our immunity is compromised by whatever we have.

Does this help?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally! I wasn't planning on having sex any time soon to start with, but its just when the only thing you're given is "no kissing on the mouth" I had to wonder if it was just mouth to mouth contact that was bad or no.

Much appreciated!

Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem.

Remember that, no matter how quickly the doctor may be speaking, no matter if it feels like you're being rushed through the appointment, you can always ask questions. It is also always okay to call the doctor's office or clinic later if you have more questions.

[ 10-07-2013, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.