Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » White pasty discharge?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: White pasty discharge?!
Mylah
Activist
Member # 108403

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Mylah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really sorry I feel liked Ive asked far to many questions .. But I've tried researching but I keep getting various if answers and I'm wondering if you could help

My period isn't late yet, I guess I am worried it isn't going to come. Anyway I think I ovulated now long ago and it's been maybe a week or more and I'm getting white pasty discharge I'm wondering what it could be I know it's not an infection as I've had no iching or burning. But people keep telling me it's a sign of pregnancy. I don't see how that it because I haven't had sex only been fingered which happened 3 weeks ago and we wash hands and I read your article and it say no pregnancy risk.

I'm wondering what this white pasty discharge could mean? I'm thinking of taking a test for reassurance in the next week (4weeks since fingering) just to reassure me really and I'm hoping that will give me accurate results.

--------------------
Believe in yourself, because if you don't who else will?

Posts: 76 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrightStar171
Peer Ambassador
Member # 64549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrightStar171     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mylah, I think it's pretty likely that the reason you've been getting so many different answers as to what thicker, white discharge might mean is because that type of discharge is well within the realm of the normal fluctuations of what vaginal discharge will look like. Vaginal discharge can be slightly different every day, and can change based on all sorts of things, like where you are in your cycle and on your vaginal flora- but think white discharge is one of the most normal types.

(Have you seen this article: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/honorably_discharged_a_guide_to_vaginal_secretions ? It does a pretty good job of explaining that clear discharge is what we would expect normal discharge to look like closer to ovulation, and thick white discharge is what we would expect normal discharge to look like in our less fertile times.)

If the discharge you're having is chunky, like cottage cheese, or if it had a very strong smell (even without itching or burning) that could be a sign of infection and you should head to a doctor to get it checked out.

But as for what it could mean, I think, given that you've said you ovulated over a week ago, what's most likely is that you're having perfectly normal discharge for this time in your menstrual cycle.

One thing that we can be absolutely sure it does not mean is pregnancy, because, as you're aware, you have not had the type of sex that can create a pregnancy. (That said, if you think taking a pregnancy test will put your mind at ease, it's perfectly harmless to do so and would be accurate at this point.)

[ 09-14-2013, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: BrightStar171 ]

Posts: 100 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mylah
Activist
Member # 108403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mylah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much, I've read that article before I just wanted a bit more information that you have me so Thankyou so much [Smile]

I'm not sure i did actually ovulate but it was really wet an clear sticky discharge, but if my period doesn't come two weeks after this expected ovulation does it really matter? I've heard it does come two weeks after but I'm not sure if I should be worried if it don't show, I still have two weeks and two days till I suspect I should be due ( been that time for last few months) but I know it can change.

Thankyou again for your help I'm definetly going to test at four weeks just to ease my mind as although in my head it's not likely at all well no risk really but I'm just anxious it won't come but I can deal with waiting [Smile]

Thankyou again [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 76 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrightStar171
Peer Ambassador
Member # 64549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrightStar171     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't worry about exactly when to expect your period. As you know, our cycles are rarely exactly the same number of days every time, and you also can't be sure exactly when you ovulated unless you were tracking basal body temperature and so forth. Plus a lot of stress and worry (which it sounds like you're having now) can delay your period or make you skip one altogether.

But it definitely sounds like taking a pregnancy test, even though you didn't have a risk, is a very good idea. They can be really great just for giving you peace of mind. [Smile]

Posts: 100 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mylah
Activist
Member # 108403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mylah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I agree can't wait to take it horrible when you have to wait but it's worth it when you get the results would wanted. Thankyou again I'm not two worried I know how my cycles have been working so just wait and try relaxing which I can now [Smile]

Thankyou for your help you've been great I really appreciate it [Big Grin]

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.