Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » I have some questions about pre-cum...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have some questions about pre-cum...
burgundyrose
Neophyte
Member # 108421

Icon 5 posted      Profile for burgundyrose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So a recent scare kind of brought up a few questions in my head. I thought I was well informed sexually, but the fact that I have these questions means I'm not, so I'd like to get informed! [Smile]

Basically, I've read a lot of the articles on here about how fragile sperm are, how they need fluid to be able to swim and impregnate a woman, etc.

What isn't very clear to me is the subject of pre-ejaculatory fluid. Basically, what is it? Are there sperm cells present in it? And is it possible to become pregnant solely from exposure to pre-cum?

Posts: 11 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This piece is a good place to get started on that: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/can_pre_ejaculate_cause_pregnancy

Per hat it is, it's a fluid produced by the Cowper's glands, and it's job, as it were, is both to provide some lubrication and to clear the urethra per anything that might basically compromise the sperm cells in a full ejaculation if it happens, like trace sperm cells (any there before ejaculation will be from a previous ejaculation and thus, the weakest of the bunch), traces of urine, bacteria, etc.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
burgundyrose
Neophyte
Member # 108421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for burgundyrose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that actually clears up a lot! I guess that explains why it is a completely different colour from actual semen, being clear instead of white. I always wondered about that.

So basically, there is still a risk of pregnancy, even though there aren't AS MANY sperm cells in pre-cum as there are in actual semen. Would the same risks apply to pre-cum as to semen though? When I say risks, I mean like, there is a pregnancy risk when ejaculation occurs on or around the bare vulva. Is the same risk present when pre-ejaculatory fluid makes contanct on or around the bare vulva?

Posts: 11 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say the easiest way to get the right idea about the level of risk is this:

- Withdrawal, in perfect use -- meaning there has ONLY been pre-ejaculate, if there has -- has an estimated 4% failure rate in one year. I'd say it's safe to assume that's primarily due to sperm cells in pre-ejaculate.

- On the other hand, when someone engages in intercourse WITH ejaculation, there is an 85-90% failure rate in one year.

So, you can see the difference between the risk of pregnancy when someone ejaculates, actually ejaculates, and doesn't, where there is just pre-ejaculate, pretty clearly that way, IMO, even though it's not exactly totally imperfect. But it makes clear how huge the diff we're talking about here is, no?

Really, if someone doesn't want to be taking risks of pregnancy, unprotected intercourse or other direct penis-to-vagina contact just isn't wise. We don't really even need to theorize the way you are in your last para -- and I'm not sure we have the data to do that well. We just need to know that unprotected -- with NO form of contraception being employed at all -- direct genital-to-genital contact poses real risks, often high ones, of both pregnancy and, if condoms aren't being used or used in addition to another method, of STIs.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
burgundyrose
Neophyte
Member # 108421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for burgundyrose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see your point, and it makes perfect sense! Thank you for the clarification, it really helps a lot [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Happy to help. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.