Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Dilation and Evacuation abortion?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dilation and Evacuation abortion?
Moon-Bandits
Neophyte
Member # 106607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moon-Bandits     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently found out that the surgical abortion I had did not work and my pregnancy was completely missed. I am now 14 weeks pregnant. I decided to have a therapeutic abortion to finally end the pregnancy. They're going to have to dilate my cervix the day before the actual abortion procedure.

On Monday I have to go in for the dilation part of the procedure and I am SO nervous. I have almost no pain threshold, and am just really easy to hurt when it comes to my vagina. My boyfriend can put me in pain for weeks just by accidentally going too deep. The speculum at the gynecologist always hurts me, and when the doctor inserts pretty much anything it hurts; no matter how much I try to relax.

Has anyone ever had this procedure done or talked to someone who has had it done? I'm terrified that the dilation of my cervix will be unbearably painful for me, and I know that the clinic I'm going to doesn't put you under for that part or provide any medication. Thanks for reading, I'm starting to panic.

Posts: 18 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow moon bandits you've had a bit of a tough time!

I'm so sorry to hear that your previous abortion didn't work.

What comes to my mind is whether you can make requests which might make the procedure easier for you?

I know that in what I understand of the procedure that often patients will be given medication to help with the dilation and be put under general anaesthetic for the entire procedure... If that's what you'd prefer, why isn't that something they have offered you?

I really think it's worth enquiring, because this is a necessary procedure which you need, and follows a previous rather difficult abortion experience, which should have worked, and the last thing you need is for this to be unnecessarily difficult.

Have you asked them what their reasons are, what your other options are and whether they can transfer you to another provider if they're not able to provide that?

From what BPAS say about the procedure common here in the UK, there shouldn't be any pain at all: http://www.bpas.org/bpasknowledge.php?page=161

[ 08-25-2013, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 681 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Moon-Bandits,

You're saying that the clinic does not provide any medication during the dilation procedure. Have you asked them about whether they provide painkillers to take after the procedure?

They should be able to at least provide you with information on what over-the counter painkillers you can take, and you have the right to insist on that information. I'd advise asking them about this before the procedure so you have all the information you need ahead of time.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moon-Bandits
Neophyte
Member # 106607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moon-Bandits     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, this has been pretty wild...I never in a million years thought that would happen to me! I'm not sure if they can prescribe medicine for afterwards, so I'll have to ask about it tomorrow. I will be completely sedated for the actual abortion procedure, but for the dilation I won't be given anything before. I also can't have the procedure done anywhere else because my insurance only allows for Family Planning or Planned Parenthood, and since Planned Parenthood messed up so bad last time I don't really want to go back there again.

Thank you both for your help! I will be sure to ask about my options tomorrow.

Posts: 18 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Moon-Bandits,

I just wanted to leave a quick note here to say that I hope things go as well as they can today.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.