Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Dye on Pill Rubbed Off?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dye on Pill Rubbed Off?
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I feel stupid posting about a question regarding birth control, especially given my latest thread. Please bear with me.

This morning, I took the beginning of my third week of active pills. I noticed a triangular shape embedded into the pink pill. I thought it was plastic or paper from the blister pack, so I tried to pick it off. It didn't come off, and I realized that I was picking dye off the pill. I took the pill immediately. As far as I could tell, the pack hadn't been damaged in any way - as in, I only saw this when it was opened. I keep the packs in a cool place, so it's not like the dye had melted off.

I asked my mom if the pill was still effective, and she said yes. I called my pharmacy and the pharmacist told me that the pill should still be effective. When I asked her if I should take a second pill once I picked up my prescription refill today, she said that, given how far into the pack I was, I didn't have to. She seemed to think the effectiveness wasn't compromised. I had protected anal sex (with condom)on Sunday, so I am not worried about anything from that incident. I'm just a bit frazzled that the pill seemed to be in bad condition when I took it.

I have always been under the impression that the dye on the pill merely told the user the hormone level content in the pill. The triangle on the pill was white underneath. I'm still really sure nothing melted or anything - it has been sitting on my dresser for a month.

Thank you for reading this post.

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Copper,

What is it you're feeling like you need here? You've already asked a pharmacist (an expert on medications) who gave you her professional opinion. You get to choose whether you take her advice or not. [Smile]

You also used another form of birth control in recent activity.

What additional help do you feel like you need here?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

I guess I was just worried. The worry wore off after a while. I guess it was just weird, because I've never seen that happen to one of my pills before. Another pharmacist said that if the pill package and blister pack weren't damaged in any way, then most likely the pill is fine.

Thank you for responding! [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you're welcome.

Glad you're not feeling worried anymore.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.