Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » First month BC and placebo week

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First month BC and placebo week
Kymada
Neophyte
Member # 108261

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Kymada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried searching for a similar situation on this site, but I couldn't really find one. I recently just started the combination bill control pill Tri Cyclen Lo. I started the Sunday start and am now on my 5th day on the placebo pill (out of 7 days total) for my first box of bc pills ever.
I haven't had sex with my bf yet in our monogamous relationship. Just oral sex and fingering and dry grinding with clothes on (at least underwear).

I noticed that I started to get abdominal cramps at the start of placebo week, which is what I normally get before my period before starting BC. However this time they were extremely mild to weak cramps, on my 4th day on placebo week I noticed some red spotting and when fingering myself I found discharge with some red. It only lasted not even an hour and still no signs of my period now on my 5th day.

I read the posts on how uncommon implantation bleeding is, however I don't want to fully rule it out. Fri, sat and sun before starting my first placebo pill on sun, I was with my bf and he fingered me.

I just need some reassurance and possible reasons why this weird red spotting (which has never happened prior to BC as my periods have always been really heavy flow) happened, why I'm not getting a real period and how soon I can take an accurate pregnancy test?... Do I wait the full 2 weeks or can I take it sooner?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it can often take a few packs for people to experience this change, two common side effects -- which most people consider benefits -- of methods like the pill, patch and ring tend to be lighter periods and less cramping with periods.

So, what's most likely is that the changes you are experiencing here are due to your pill. Those are common. It's also common for the first few packs of the pill to have spotting, missed bleeds, and general period wonkiness.

What's NOT common is what people online are calling "implantation bleeding." That's pretty uncommon. But when it does happen, what it is is very light spotting, sans cramps, for around a day. And, of course, what's impossible would be for you to be pregnant in the first place, since I don't hear you saying you had any of the kinds of sex which can create a pregnancy.

If you wanted to take a pregnancy test, then you'd follow the directions of those tests, which generally suggest waiting to take them until you miss a period. Alternately, you can take them as early as two weeks after a risk (which it doesn't seem you had, so obviously that'd be tricky to figure) and be likely to get accurate results.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.