Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » need some help figuring out what is going on with my body

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: need some help figuring out what is going on with my body
sweetgreendreams
Neophyte
Member # 103671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetgreendreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! A few weeks ago I posted with some concerns about a pregnancy risk. Ive been on the pill for a few years, but two cycles ago I was traveling and missed a pill once or twice (not in a row), so things were a little out of sync. I got my period as usual, but then a few days later, I had manual sex with my bf. He may have still had semen on his hands when he touched me (it was at least a minute after he came, if not two, and I believe he touched the bedsheet in between).

Anyway, I didn't get my period that month. I moved to a foreign country and had a difficult few weeks transitioning. I thought maybe it was the stress because that tends to delay my periods, even though I'm on the pill.

Volunteers here said I was unlikely to be pregnant because the activity doesn't pose a risk, and I was on birth control. Even if he still had semen on his hands, it should be okay, right?

I could take a pregnancy test, but I'm not sure I need to. Even if I were positive, there's no way I can get an abortion here. It's possible (legally), but the costs are prohibitive for a foreigner. I won't be back in my home country until I would be (almost) three months along. It's legal to have an abortion at that stage, but I don't know whether it would be bad to wait that long.

In the past few weeks I've been really tired and over the past few days my nipples have been quite sore. I've been running a lot, so I wonder whether that could have something to do with it, especially since I don't have a sports bra. I've been taking BC as usual and should be getting my period in a few days. Any ideas as to what might be causing these symptoms?

Posts: 32 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi sweetgreendreams,

Fatigue can be from all sorts of things, including the transition to a new living space, changes in your routine, changes in eating or sleep patterns, et cetera, et cetera. As for sore nipples, nipples get sore sometimes. Breast tissue is pretty sensitive to other changes happening in the body. Certainly, if you feel like your breasts aren't very supported during your running, that could aggravate things.
Missing your withdrawal bleed last month can also have been from all the changes (moving to a new country, et cetera).

All of this is just guesswork though, since I can't actually see into your body, or have a direct line of communication with it where I can ask it what it's up to. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetgreendreams
Neophyte
Member # 103671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetgreendreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Robin. That's very reassuring.

I spoke with my gyno, and she said to take a pregnancy test if I think there's any chance I might be pregnant. I really don't think I am, but maybe it would be a good idea to do it, for the experience.

I'm supposed to get my period soon so we'll see what happens. Everything is scarier when you're far away from home!

Posts: 32 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetgreendreams
Neophyte
Member # 103671

Placebo week is almost up and I still haven't seen my period. Even though I have reason to believe (from this site and others) that the situation I was in has no risk, I'm going to take a test as soon as I can get one for the experience and also so that my gyno can rule that one out, especially as this is the second month in a row that I haven't had it.

I'm curious about what other women who are on HBC that get rid of monthly menses do about pregnancy scares. Do you trust your pill or do you take tests every month? I'd rather not keep taking tests, but I obviously don't want to let a pregnancy go undetected.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, when I was using the pill (though caveat: I most often backed up with condoms, too) I trusted the pill to be as effective as it has been shown to be in clinical studies. And the was over two decades ago now, where finding those studies wasn't easy: there was no internet to look at them with.

So, when I missed a bleed, or it didn't come when expected, I figured it was menstrual irregularity, which I knew as something that commonly happened to bodies that menstruate. And when I wasn't sure I took my pill properly, or felt scared about pregnancy and couldn't let it go, I took a test.

But I also knew how pregnancy could and couldn't happen, so I wasn't worried about pregnancy from any kind of sex besides intercourse or direct genital-to-genital rubbing.

[ 08-04-2013, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetgreendreams
Neophyte
Member # 103671

Hi Heather. I've always backed up with condoms, too, so I'm not worried about risks related to intercourse. But staying educated is probably the best way to not freak out about pregnancy, so thank you. I'll talk to my gyno when I'm back in my home country as well.

I am a little concerned that the irregularities in the cycle before this incident (when I was traveling through time zones and may have missed a pill) might have reduced the effectiveness of the pill during the cycle where the manual sex occurred. Is that a reasonable concern, or does effectiveness "reset" at the beginning of each cycle? (This isn't about manual sex versus other kinds of sex; this is just about the effectiveness of the pill in general.)

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, can we stop, though, and recognize that you're not asking about an activity which even poses pregnancy risks to begin with?

That makes talking about if your pill worked to protect you from a pregnancy risk from that about as sound as asking if a seatbelt you never wore because you were never driving in a car protected you. Catch my drift?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Per how your pill works, basically, each cycle of pill, so long as in the cycle before, you didn't miss three or more pills, or lengthen the placebo week, isn't influenced by cycles before.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

sweetgreendreams
Neophyte
Member # 103671

Yes, sorry. This was, as I said, a general question as there is a lot of information perpetuated about the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of missing a pill at the beginning or the end of a cycle.

I'm taking the test only because in order to help me figure out why I'm missing multiple periods while I'm away and can't get help in person, my gynocologist thinks I should take one to rule out the possibility, especially as I can't remember the details of every sexual encounter I've had in the past few months. And since I am on a pill that will cause you to miss period(s) from time to time, it would be good to get used to taking a test if I feel the need to!

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Heather
Member # 3

My best advice with ANY medication you are ever taking -- the pill included -- is to make your prescribing physician and your pharmacist, and then any patient materials given from either about your medication -- your primarily sources of information about that medication.

And I would outrightly cross out any unmoderated, un-fact-checked user-generated content as sources of information. Honestly, I'd just personally say that's not safe or sound. Using medications correctly is a big deal, so our information about them needs to come only from reliable sources.

By all means, I think when HPTs are a thing that make us feel better and we have access to them, there's no reason not to use them for that purpose.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.