Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Ovulation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ovulation
Miss S
Activist
Member # 107855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
many doctors told me ..that there is a way to know when im ovulating and it's by checking my cervical mucus ..by pulling out some of it from my cervix by a clean finger of course..and if you know on the day of ovulation it wil be clear and stretchy and egg white..so based on my calendar (though im on birthcontrol) but im freak and I wanted to check if my pills are really stopping ovulation..so yesterday and today I checked my mucus and its dry and sticky which means as ive heard no fertile ..but today was supposed to be my ovulation day..so through these information do you think that my pill yamin really stopped my ovulation?

--------------------
Miss S

Posts: 66 | From: somewhere | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your pill is designed to do that, so unless you're not taking it properly, you can be sure it does.

There isn't any "supposed to" with what day someone ovulates. Calendars that tell you that without asking for information about patterns of cervical mucus or basal temperatures can only guess: they're just not accurate.

That's something we can find out -- per knowing around when it usually happens -- by charting cervical mucus over time (as in, at least for a few months), when we DO ovulate, not when we don't, like when using a hormonal method of birth control.

So, while you're using this pill, you're really not going to be able to figure this out, save NOT seeing ovulation signs over months, like you didn't see them the last few days.

For more, see:
• Get With the Flow: All About FAM
• http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2009/09/17/its_smart_to_chart

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss S
Activist
Member # 107855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if im taking my pills on time every day...never skipped and so...and if im on the pill and was suplosed to be ovulating but im not...that means my pill is working properly??? Anf one more question is it okay if I started my sexond pack a day early?

--------------------
Miss S

Posts: 66 | From: somewhere | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Miss S,

Yes, it's fine that you started your second pack a day early. However, in general you'll want to start it on the day you're supposed to, as that is what is known right now to be most ideal for a person's body. This isn't about the pill's effectiveness but rather about what pattern of pill-taking has been studied and found to work well for people's bodies.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss S
Activist
Member # 107855

Okay robin...but it wont reduce the pill's effectiveness ...I mean its not like I took the first pill a day late right?

--------------------
Miss S

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You got it.

It's important to start the new pack on time, but it's not going to affect the effectiveness that you started it a day early.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss S
Activist
Member # 107855

I started having some nausea followed by a loose stool and still having nausea so I took motilium(domperidone) that would ease nausea would that interfere with my birthcontrol?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you sat down with the patient information insert that comes with each pack of your pills yet?

If not, I strongly suggest doing that: it can give you all the information there is that you need to know about your birth control. That's just an important part of managing our own health that all of us need to be doing, with any medication.

When it comes to which medications may or may not interact, you can refer to the list we keep here: Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

And then, for anything not on there, or which you have extra questions about, call into the pharmacy where you get your BC prescription filled and ask the pharmacist. Pharmacies have access to big databases which allow them to easily tell you which medications may or may not interfere with any other medication, including methods of birth control.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.