Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » ''Hypersexuality''

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ''Hypersexuality''
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve heard of some people who after having dealt with some difficult times, be it abuse, rape or other things have turned to ''hypersexuality''. By hypersexuality, I mean having frequent sexual encounters, be it through casual sex or not. I’m just curious as to why that happened and if this is linked in any way to what they experienced.

Has it ever been your experience ? If so, for what reason do you think you’ve turned to that ?

Do you think this is linked to what you've experienced ?

Is this a way to try to overcome the pain, just like some other people might turn to drugs or other unhealthy behaviors ?

Is this about reclaiming your sexuality, about being in control of your own sexuality ?

Is it more about having troubles saying no to sex and being assertive ?

Is it about feeling a need to please others sexually ?

Do you think that this can be healthy ?

If anyone would be willing to share their experience, that would be cool.

[ 04-11-2009, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of debate about that term in the first place, particularly since human sexuality and sexual frequency varies so much that it's nigh unto impossible for anyone to reach agreement on what "frequent" even means in this context.

As well, different standards tend to be placed on men and women for this, with it often seen as pathological that women have sex frequently, while it's more often seen as normal for men.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say something about the aforementioned double standard, but Heather beat me to it.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshGolden
Neophyte
Member # 105787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshGolden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been years, and I don't know if my words on that would still be any relevant? I guess some other people on the message board experienced that but are too embarrassed to talk, so I could overcome my shame and speak out a bit about this issue, if it's fine to dig up such an old thread?...
Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's fine. Go ahead AshGolden.

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AshGolden: you might also want to take a look at this around this topic: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2010/06/06/whos_calling_who_compulsive_calling_out_a_common_rape_survivor_stere

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

(Just FYI, I'm guessing why no users answered this thread was less about shame and more that the OP, no longer a user here -- she was eventually banned, actually -- made a habit of pushing users for very personal, difficult information like this.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

AshGolden
Neophyte
Member # 105787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshGolden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather: Thank you. Eventually, I don't have more to say than your article, so I guess it's indeed better to leave this as it is.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing. And if you want to talk about it, in general or specifically, I'd be happy to do that with you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.