Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Cysts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cysts?
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizzylala17         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom randomly told me she'd set up an appointment with my pediatrician tomorrow (I'm still 17, don't turn 18 for a few months) because she's worried I have cysts on my ovaries. I've had heavy, painful, and irregular periods and gained a little weight. I don't mind seeing the doctor, but I've recently become sexually active. My mom doesn't know and I don't want her to, but what if the doctor asks me? I think it's just a consultation and they aren't going to poke and probe around down there, but I'm sure my mom will be in the office with me.I'm worried to lie to my doctor, but I'm terrified to tell my mom I'm having sex. Please help!
Posts: 45 | From: Lousiana | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't want your mother in the exam room with you, it's perfectly okay to ask that she not be there (and the doctor should back you up on that). Even though you're not 18 yet, you're plenty old enough to make those decisions about your health care, and your doctor shouldn't be sharing information about your health with your mother unless you agree to that.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5761 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizzylala17         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So even though I'm under 18, if the doctor examines me and suspects I'm sexually active, she can't tell my mom?
Posts: 45 | From: Lousiana | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, and you can specifically talk to them about that to make sure.

But....the doctor isn't going to be able to tell whether you've engaged in any sort of sexual activity, let alone what you've done, by examining you. The only way they'll know is if you tell them.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzylala17
Activist
Member # 79128

Really? I thought they could tell by....well, I guess poking around in your nether regions! I still want to be truthful if she asks, but what would sex have to do with ovarian cysts? Sorry for all the questions!
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they really can't tell. There's nothing about sex of any kind that changes genitals in one specific way.

The only way a healthcare provider can sometimes tell if a person has engaged in sexual activities involving the genitals is if they examine that person a few hours after the sexual activity. Then they might see redness or swelling which might indicate sexual activity.

Sexual activity doesn't have much, if anything, to do with ovarian cysts (unless you were, say, trying to conceive and investigating reasons that you couldn't, or investigating why you were having pain during sexual activity) but it's important for a healthcare provider to know if you're sexually active with a partner so they can give you the healthcare most suited to your needs.

In fact, it's sound for all people who start engaging in partnered sexual activity to talk with their healthcare provider and start getting sexual healthcare (which might include birth control, pelvic exams, STI tests, any or all of the above).

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.