Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Most common causes of unwanted pregnancy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Most common causes of unwanted pregnancy?
Dukhi
Neophyte
Member # 107475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dukhi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently i've both seen or heard of a surprising number of people i either know or used to know who are unintentionally pregnant or had an unplanned pregnancy and now have a child.

This is slightly unnerving for me, the thought of that occurring with my girlfriend and i scares me cause its not something im prepared for.

So my question is this: what is the most common reason for unwanted pregnancies? Negligence with birth control? Complete lack of birth control?

Posts: 13 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not using an effective method of birth control certainly heads the list. Next up, not using one consistently -- every time -- or correctly.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that we can really know this, as we don't know everyone's situation when they become pregnant. But certainly, *not* using any birth control is what makes people most likely to become pregnant when they're having the kinds of sex that carry a pregnancy risk. Using birth control improperly can cause problems too, but often even misused birth control methods will provide some protection.

Looking at your previous posts, it sounds like you've been using condoms; do you have a sense of how to do this properly?

If you aren't comfortable with any chance of pregnancy, then you can always choose not to have sex that carries a pregnancy risk. If you feel like any sex, even with condoms, makes you really anxious about pregnancy, then this may be a good choice for now.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dukhi
Neophyte
Member # 107475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dukhi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know i am using condoms properly every time, thats not the part that concerns me. The reason im posting this is because part of me is curious as to what the corcumstances were that resulted in these people being pregnant, however thats not really an appropriate question.
Posts: 13 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, the data that's been collected on this over time almost always bears out to show that most unintended pregnancies are due to NO method, at all (including condoms), being used. And next in line are methods being used, but not used consistently or correctly.

Of course, if you're in your late teens or in your 20s, know that this is also the time most people are most fertile, so you're going to start seeing more pregnancies than you did before, since that's the age group where there are the most pregnancies overall.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dukhi
Neophyte
Member # 107475

Good point, thanks for the response heather!
Heather
Member # 3

Once people get into their 20's that's also most typically the age group with the highest frequency of sex, so there's that, too.

Combine it with high fertility *and* no use to only intermittent or improper use of birth control methods, and you can see it's basically the perfect storm.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.