Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Condoms after ejaculation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condoms after ejaculation
gingervitis
Neophyte
Member # 96337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gingervitis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, y'all. I'm feeling a little flustered and hoped you might be able to help. I slept with someone new last night, and I didn't realize he had finished for, I guess, several minutes until his penis was obviously soft. I'm on BCPs (though I'm an IBS sufferer, so I'm always frightened I'm not absorbing them), but I wanted to know the truth about a condom that doesn't slip off or break after ejaculation, but nonetheless stays on too long. I feel stupid that I didn't realize he had come, and the risk of spillage isn't one I would have wanted to take.

I had a chat with him about it, and he was kind but didn't seem to think there was a reason to worry. What do you think?

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi gingervitis,

If the condom stayed on his penis when he withdrew, there's a minimal risk that anything spilled. The risk for remaining inside the vagina after ejaculation without changing condoms is that the condom will slip off of the softening penis and remain in the vagina. Since this did not happen, it's unlikely any of his semen ended up in your vagina.

Just a quick reminder that condom failure would also increase the risks of STI transmission, not just of the possibility of pregnancy. Just in general, do you get regular STI testing

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gingervitis
Neophyte
Member # 96337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gingervitis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your message, Robin. Yes, I'm tested regularly. I'm currently living in Europe, though, and when I asked my new partner about his last screening, he was shocked—he said that wasn't something people worried about here. For an American overseas, it's a bit of a culture clash.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's not like there aren't STIs in Europe (just as prevalently in most countries, mind), nor that Europeans don't also get tested.

So, I'd say this person's reaction has less to do with what Europeans do and think and probably more to do with this individual.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gingervitis
Neophyte
Member # 96337

Hm. That's interesting. And sort of rattles my comfort with him.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's not like someone can't change their mind or their habits about testing.

So, if you want to keep seeing this person sexually, why don't you just talk about this with him, including asking him to start getting tested?

You can certainly have a limit for yourself about only being with partners who do, if you want to: you'd hardly be the first person to do that. (I have limits myself around that, have for decades.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gingervitis
Neophyte
Member # 96337

Heather,

I spent some time with this
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexuality/safe_sound_sexy_a_safer_sex_how_to
and am grateful I asked.

I'm sure I'm one of your older readers, but you guys have been such a great resource to me as a teen in the South and now a young woman abroad, on days when finding other people to talk openly and honestly (and in English) with is a struggle.

Many thanks. gv

Heather
Member # 3

You're so very welcome. [Smile] Glad to be of help!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.