Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » ive taken procautions!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ive taken procautions!
futuredoctor101
Neophyte
Member # 97728

Icon 9 posted      Profile for futuredoctor101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on the 21st, (the first day of my period) I started taking nortrel 777!a few days later, me and my boyfriend had sex, raw..and the package said I was protected but I took a plan b just in case! but on the 30th I was sexually assaulted and went to the police and rape clinic and plan b was taken.. should I be rested assured that ill be fine? both plan bs were taken within 24 hours and I take my birth control around the same time, I have never even been an hour late!
Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi futuredoctor101 and welcome to Scarleteen,

I'm sorry to hear that you were assaulted, and glad to hear that you've gotten help and support, including medical care.

The only way to know for sure if you get pregnant is to take a pregnancy test. However, from what you've described, taking daily hormonal birth control plus the Plan B, pregnancy sounds unlikely at this point. You will want to test for pregnancy just to be sure, either using a home pregnancy test or going to a healthcare provider's office or clinic.

Did the healthcare provider you saw after the assault also talk to you about getting tested for STIs (sexually transmitted infections)? I don't want to alarm you, as you certainly have more than enough on your plate right now, but STI testing is just as important as making sure you're not pregnant.

We talk with a lot of people here who have experienced sexual assault, so if there's anything you need or want to talk about, please don't hesitate to talk with us.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
futuredoctor101
Neophyte
Member # 97728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for futuredoctor101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes mam, they gave me pills and a shot to prevent most, but im trying to take one problema at a time. do you think I was protected even from day 1 of the birth control? my doctor didn't explain much and my mom wont speak on it.. im sorry if I sound dumb
Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely hear you on taking one problem at a time. [Smile]

I also don't think you're dumb. How are you supposed to know something if you weren't given the information? I'm sorry to hear that your doctor and your Mom haven't provided you with the information you need. The instruction booklet in your pill package will have some information, so you can take a look at that.

Generally, it takes about 7 days for the birth control pill to become effective. For some people it takes less time, and for others it takes more.

I'm going to give you a few articles to read about the pill so you have more information. If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)
How do birth control pills really work, even during the placebo period?

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
futuredoctor101
Neophyte
Member # 97728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for futuredoctor101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used plan b multiple times... Will it work still? I'm just terrified.. I'm 2 into the white pills without a period yet . And thank you so much for those, they truly helped!
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Plan B doesn't become less effective if it's used more frequently.

One of the side effects of Plan B is changes to ones cycle, which can happen even if you're on daily birth control. So, if you end up missing your withdrawal bleed, having taken the Plan B could be a reason.

With the daily pill, plus the doses of Plan B, pregnancy is unlikely, but it's sound to take a test just to be sure. As scary as taking a test might feel for you right now, I think that having a result would ultimately help you be less stressed.

--------------------
Robin

futuredoctor101
Neophyte
Member # 97728

Well I did come on! Blood clots and all so I think that means I'm fine, right? Thank you so so so much for the help!!
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Yes, and you're welcome.

--------------------
Robin

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best wishes, you've certainly gone through some very difficult stuff! The people on this site are great, aren't they? [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.