Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Can the pill prevent ovulation if I take it before I ovulate?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can the pill prevent ovulation if I take it before I ovulate?
Bluemoon76
Neophyte
Member # 107681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bluemoon76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My last period started on the 27th of May and I started the pill on the 3rd of June when my period had stopped. I calculated when my expected ovulation days were and it said that it would be from the 7th to the 12th of June and that I have roughly a 28 day cycle. I'm wondering if I took the pill for 7 days before having sex if it would've stopped me from ovulating on those days that I was expected to? I had sex without a condom for a couple minutes on the 10th(day after 7th pill was taken) but my boyfriend did not ejaculate in me and it wasn't very long. I take my pill everyday at the same time and I'm wondering if continuing to take the pill now will prevent me from getting pregnant if sperm did in fact enter me or if it will have no effect? Also in the pamphlet that came with the pill it said I should be protected after 7 days on the pill (Alesse 28). Any advice will be much appreciated thanks
Posts: 6 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bluemoon,

Preventing ovulation is one of the ways that a BC Pill will work, so if you are taking it then yes, it will keep you from ovulating.
Have you seen this article that talks some about how the Pill works? Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

If the information that came with your pill says that you're fully protected after 7 days, then you can assume that this includes ovulation prevention. Note that unless you're checking your basal temperature and your cervical mucous, you can't really know when you're ovulating; there are some online tools and apps that give an estimation, but they're really not specific enough to rely on.

My thoughts on this are the same as from yesterday - it sounds like your risk was pretty low here. If you're still worried about pregnancy, your best bet now is to wait at least two weeks since when you had intercourse and take a pregnancy test.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there bluemoon,

I and many people are taught/instructed that taking one week's worth of active pills -consistently and correctly, mind- is sufficient, like your pamphlet reads.

We here like to encourage a full cycle's worth before not using secondary methods of birth control (ex. condoms), but that's really just so we can be absolutely sure we're in the clear.

It sounds like you've been responsible in taking your pills, and since you also practiced withdrawal, it's not likely that you could have become pregnant.

So, the pill mainly works is that it stops ovulation- which, to answer your question, it likely did.

If for some reason that doesn't happen though, the pill also thickens cervical mucus and thins the uterine lining- all by way of saying, the pill pulls all the stops.

However, if you were actually pregnant, the pill would not terminate a pregnancy.

I hope this helps you! This is a lot of text, so feel free to ask more questions for clarification if you need.

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluemoon76
Neophyte
Member # 107681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bluemoon76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice guys. I know the way the pill works and was just wondering if by the time I had sex if it would've kicked in since I likely wouldn't have ovulated yet and if it was enough time to stop ovulation and thicken the cervical mucus. I understand that the ovulation predictor isn't very reliable but I just wanted an estimation. I did use a condom after and will continue to so that I'm not paranoid anymore. I also know that the pill can't terminate pregnancy but I'm wondering if sperm got in me if my chances today of fertilization are less likely as compared to the day before like will it continue to thicken the cervical mucus and stuff because I know sperm can live in the body for a couple days and it takes a while before fertilization happens. So like will it further slim my chances of pregnancy or is it too late if sperm did get in there? thanks again for the advice and information.
Posts: 6 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can't really know for sure any of those things; all we can know is that, if your pill pamphlet says it is effective after a week, then it should be effective after a week and that includes in preventing ovulation. If you're still worried about this, as Mo said, you can take a pregnancy test in at least two weeks. But since your pill pamphlet said it's effective after a week, you should be covered, so pregnancy isn't likely.
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.