Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » I want to be safe, but how can I go about it quietly?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I want to be safe, but how can I go about it quietly?
SarahBug
Neophyte
Member # 107409

Icon 4 posted      Profile for SarahBug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm 17 (female) and have been with my boyfriend for three years. (Neither of us are or have been sexually active) We didn't really start getting physical until less than a year ago. I've told him I didn't want to have sex for awhile, though, and for many reasons.
But, I would like to know how I can go about getting what I need before my "sexual debut."
I plan on being very safe, with birth control and condoms. But I really have no way of getting them. I know it may sound silly to plan so far ahead, but I'm not planning on having sex until I'm at least in college. (so over a year) This may change, but there is really no safe way/place to go about doing this right now. I don't want to have my first time in a car.
I'm not too worried about the condoms. But I don't know about the birth control. When I'm on my own, I was planning on possibly making an appt up there and asking for a prescription. (If it's important, I'll be attending Morehead State Univ. in Kentucky) I don't know where I would make the appt though or how to do this. I want to be smart about this and make the right decisions. I also want to be discreet. I don't want my parents to know. Of course, by law, I will be an adult, so I shouldn't have much problem.

Can someone give me some advice? I suppose to sum it up, where is the best place to get affordable birth control? (Gyno, Doctor, Clinic, etc.) And I guess, advice on having safe sex discreetly? Thank you!

Posts: 2 | From: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI SarahBug and welcome to Scarleteen,

By having sex, I think you mean engaging in intercourse. Other sexual activities are sex too. [Smile] For example, if you're currently engaging in oral sex, using condoms or dental dams is sound if either you or your boyfriend has engaged in any sexual activities with other people and you two haven't had STI tests.

To answer your questions about how to get birth control, most colleges and universities have campus health services. Many cities also have sexual health clinics. So, when you're away at college you'll certainly have lots of options.

If you're interested in exploring birth control now, you do have the option of finding a sexual health clinic in your area. If you have a family doctor you see, you could also talk to them about birth control. They shouldn't tell your parents what you discussed. In many places they're actually required not to, and you could certainly check with your provider to make sure that what you discuss is in confidence.
Would it be helpful to have more information on your birth control options?

Does this help?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SarahBug
Neophyte
Member # 107409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SarahBug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your quick response. =)

This did help, and yes, neither of us have engaged in any form of sexual activity except with each other. We are both "virgins" in the vaginal intercourse sense.

And about my options, sure. Are there certain brands that are more reliable than others?

Posts: 2 | From: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brand of what? There are lots of different types of birth control out there! This article should get you started exploring your options: Birth Control Bingo!

[ 06-08-2013, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.