Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Possible STI? :C

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Possible STI? :C
st4mina
Neophyte
Member # 101549

Icon 9 posted      Profile for st4mina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm really sorry for having to post this for I've been trying to ease my mind for so long, but nothing just seems to convince me that everything will be okay anymore.

I'm 16, and I have a boyfriend. My mom doesn't know about it because of our strict culture. We both never had any previous partners. We've only ever done dry sex, but the most we've gone without clothing was just his bare penis and my thin underwear. It's not a g-string or anything, it was just thin underwear. I think I might have been wearing a pad as well, but I was not on my period. The last time we ever did anything close to dry sex or me giving him oral was in early June. I got my period on the 14th of July and it ended on the 19th. Afterwards, I got some light light pinkish/brown discharge, but my doctor told me that it was just old blood. After a few days, the brownish discharge stopped; however, I started to get a different kind of discharge.

At first, I thought it was normal to have a little discharge. However, on the most recent Sunday, I had little clump of discharge. It seemed clearish white with a faint stain of yellow.. so I went to the doctors the following day. He told me that it probably isn't anything serious, but when I told him about how my boyfriend and I have done dry sex, he told me that I might have a slight possibility of having clamydia, but he doesn't think that I do. He suggested that I go to my home doctor to get a urine sampling just in case, but knew that I couldn't tell my mom about it, so he told me that it shouldn't be something I need to worry about doing because I probably don't have clamydia anyways. But now, I'm just really worried.. I want to be okay and get tested for STIs since my boyfriend has never been tested either, but it's not like he and I can just get it tested without the possibility of our parents finding out.. ):

My doctor prescribed flagyl for my discharge to hopefully go away, but it's been about 2 and a half days and it's still not really gone.. What should I do if it doesn't go away by the time I'm done taking it in a week or so? What are the chances of me having clamydia or gonorrhea? Additionally, I've been having mild cramp-like pains in my pelvis even after my period has ended, but when I looked up that symptom, it appeared as though I could also have gonorrhea ):

I apologize for the really long post, but I'm just really anxious and scared..

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi St4mina,

It's really not possible for any of us to tell you what is going on here.

If you're still having cramps and yellowish discharge once you're finished the medication, I recommend going back to a doctor and seeking out testing.

I'm curious about why the doctor you saw couldn't conduct the STI tests?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
st4mina
Neophyte
Member # 101549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for st4mina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We went to a place that our insurance no longer covered because we switched to a new insurance.. he said that it would have been cheaper to go to another place that my insurance company would be able to cover because if I were to have done the urine sampling there, it would have costed $80.. Plus, my mom was with me, and he knew that I didn't want my mom to know about anything, so he suggested that I go with someone else to get the tests, but I can't rely on anyone else that I know.. my boyfriend and I cannot drive..

If I've been taking the medication for about 3 days already, should I already be seeing improvement with the discharge while I'm taking it or will it get better once I'm done with the medication? [Frown] And have you ever encountered a case where someone got STIs from dry sex before..?

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi There,

It would be pretty unlikely for someone to get an STI if there was no skin-to-skin contact, fluid sharing, or both. STIs are called STIs for a reason, they're infections or viruses that are primarily transmitted through sexual means.

When you can expect to see an improvement in your symptoms is really something you'd have to ask a healthcare provider. As with any physical problem though sometimes you won't see improvement right away.

it sounds like you'd really benefit from having a healthcare provider whom you can talk to about your sexual health.

Have you taken a look around to see if there are any sexual health clinics in your area that you could get to using public transportation (presuming that your area has public transportation)?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
st4mina
Neophyte
Member # 101549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for st4mina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a planned parenthood clinic that's about 20 minutes away, but I don't know how I could possibly get there without my parents knowing that I'm not home..they're very strict people, and it kind of makes me feel guilty to have to lie to them.. this incident is already making me feel very guilty.. but I can't tell them about it.. [Frown]
st4mina
Neophyte
Member # 101549

I just wanted to add that my boyfriend might have pre-ejaculated as we were having the dry sex. Would that increase the chances of me having an STI if I wore thin underwear, but with a pad?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

if his fluids came into contact with your bare vulva, there's a risk of STI transmission. Only you can know if that happened or not.

Yellowish discharge isn't just a possible STI symptom. That is, there are other types of infections that aren't classified as STIs (such as yeast infections).

you might find this article on discharges helpful.
Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

--------------------
Robin

st4mina
Neophyte
Member # 101549

Hello, thank you for the article! It gave a lot of information. To ease my mind, I went to go get an STI check. I am still waiting for the results.

However, I wanted to ask about something else. When I read the article about the temperature risks of pregnancy and chicken soup for the pregnancy freakout's soul, I was still unsure about my situation. I don't quite remember how things were in June anymore, but if my boyfriend's bare penis was being penetrated against just my underwear (really thin underwear, too), would that pose as a pregnancy risk? He never ejaculated, but there was pre-ejaculate.

I thought I wasn't pregnant since my period did end up coming approximately a week late, but I still don't feel reassured anymore considering how my fabric was thin. Could my period have been some sort of heavy implantation bleeding?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

If you've gotten a period since then, that's a sign you're not pregnant.

And go you for going ahead and getting a STI screening

--------------------
Robin

st4mina
Neophyte
Member # 101549

Thank you for your response! So it couldn't have just been some heavy implantation bleeding, right? Can implantation bleeding even heavy? Because I still had awful cramps, but my period was lighter than it usually was.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What people are calling implantation bleeding is not only rare, but when it happens it is very light spotting, if that, lasting no more than a day or two, tops.

You are describing a period here, clearly.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
st4mina
Neophyte
Member # 101549

Thank you very much for the reassurance! I didn't want to stress myself out over worrying about it only to have it delayed again haha
st4mina
Neophyte
Member # 101549

Hello, sorry for coming back again [Frown] But as I was re-reading Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul, I realized that in the signs of early pregnancy, a "light period" is mentioned. I thought that people who are pregnant are unable to have a period overall? O:
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Yes, that's true that periods stop when pregnancy begins. The bleeding would be from another cause. I'm not sure why the book we pulled that list from phrased it that way, except that a person experiencing the bleeding might think of it as their period.

However, from what you wrote above, you yourself had a period at the time you expected it and it acted the way you'd expected it would until the end when you had that discharge. That's not what this list is referring to. It's referring to only having light bleeding that lasts for a shorter amount of time than the person experiencing it would expect for their body.

--------------------
Robin

st4mina
Neophyte
Member # 101549

So should I just not worry about pregnancy, even though my period was a lighter than usual and a week late? [Frown]
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hi There,

Do you think you had a pregnancy risk based on what is explained in this article?

Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

--------------------
Robin

st4mina
Neophyte
Member # 101549

I'm not sure for my situation. I know that I'd be categorized under dry frottage but it states "No risk, unless only one partner is wearing a very thin garment that allows for some direct genital contact, like a thong, or there is accidental fluid contact. In those cases, there may be low risk."

If I was wearing very thin underwear, would that count as accidental fluid contact? I don't remember if I was wet down there but I know he had pre-ejaculate.. But he urinated beforehand, so that would decrease the count of sperm, right..?

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The issue with thin/skimpy underwear isn't the thinness of the material itself, but with the fact that a very small piece of clothing might get pushed to the side during sexual activity to allow direct contact, which is where the risk comes in. So as long as your underwear remained in place then there's no risk - and note that even if it had slipped to the side a bit, the risk is still really low.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
st4mina
Neophyte
Member # 101549

Is that low risk low enough to the extent where I should just not worry about it? [Frown]
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Let's revisit the facts, okay?

The last time you engaged in this activity was early june, correct? You have had at least one period since then.

It's been two months since this sexual activity, so if you feel you need to take a pregnancy test for piece of mind you can do that and know that the result will be accurate.

However, you have gotten a period, which is a sign that you are, in fact, not pregnant, since the sexual activity you described is unlikely to get anyone pregnant.

What do you think you need to move on from here?

--------------------
Robin

st4mina
Neophyte
Member # 101549

So if I take the pregnancy test now, would I have any false positives? I was going to buy a home pregnancy test last week, but I got afraid of the ratings of the home pregnancy tests available because according to the ratings, there would be a lot of false negatives and positives [Frown]
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I think you're talking about the customer ratings? if so, I would be cautious about trusting those.

pregnancy tests have a very, very high success rate. If they didn't, there would be a lot of lawsuits out there. [Smile]

So, people who write that they were unhappy with the test are most likely either wanting to let someone know that they're unhappy about something, or didn't follow the instructions for the test.

You could take a test now and get an accurate result.

here's a whole bunch more information on pregnancy tests:

Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

--------------------
Robin

Carpe Diem
Activist
Member # 47124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carpe Diem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you looked at this article http://m.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/peeing_on_a_stick_all_about_pregnancy_tests?

Why are you so worried about receiving a false positive?

Oops, didn't see Robin's reply [Smile]

[ 08-08-2013, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Carpe Diem ]

--------------------
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."
-Joseph Campbell

Posts: 210 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
st4mina
Neophyte
Member # 101549

Thank you for the information! I think I will go out this weekend to get a HPT, then. I'm just really afraid or getting a false positive because it'd mean building up more anxiety and overthinking as to whether or not the results are true, and then I'd have to go out of the way to a clinic again to see if I really am pregnant and stuff. I'm just afraid of worrying over nothing, which is ironic because I feel like I'm doing the same right now. [Frown]

I got my results from the STI testing by the way, I'm negative for everything [Smile] So that's a relief!

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Well, if a pregnancy test would make you more anxious rather than less, then is it a good idea for you? As we've already talked about, you did get a period, and the type of sex you described really isn't an activity that is known to lead to pregnancy.

--------------------
Robin

st4mina
Neophyte
Member # 101549

I was planning to get a HPT this weekend but the results of my ultrasound came in first, so I went to get the results discussed with my doctor this morning.. She never said anything about the ultrasound detecting a pregnancy, and I never asked if it did because my mom was in the same room.. Could an ultrasound detect pregnancy if my last sexual activity was in early June? :|

Just to clarify, I got the ultrasound for my doctor to see why I've been hurting in my pelvis even after my period, and it's because I have a bigger uterus than normal and a 1.6cm cyst

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

yes, your doctor would have seen differences that would have indicated pregnancy. if she said nothing about it, then you can be sure she didn't see those things.

For future reference, you can always ask for time to speak alone with your doctor.

--------------------
Robin

LissaCroft
Neophyte
Member # 109485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LissaCroft     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you can expect to see an improvement in your symptoms is really something you'd have to ask a healthcare provider. [link to online vendor edited as such links violate our board guidelines]

[ 02-04-2014, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Molias ]

Posts: 5 | From: usa | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.