Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Looking at sex and the probability of pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking at sex and the probability of pregnancy
Dukhi
Neophyte
Member # 107475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dukhi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, let me begin by saying I'm a male, and from what I've seen, probably one of the few guys here. Anyway, recently my girlfriend and I have started having sex, and I've been doing a lot of research and reading up on everything, so I can know as much as I could possibly know on the subject, I found this site cause I read the book. (yeah I'm kinda nerdy like that, but I want to be thorough and prepared.)

Anyway, we had sex, I used a condom and withdrew before ejaculating. I double-checked everything, no breaks or tears or anything. So everything should be alright, correct?

I dont know, I'm just uneasy because we had sex a week ago and like it just hit last night, that there's nothing we can do about it if something went wrong. Like I could just use some reassurance from someone who's more experienced on the subject and knows more about it.

I apologize if this comes off as weird/obsessive/creepy, I don't mean it to be. Since this is something that is still new to me, I'm still not like 100% sure with stuff, i could just use some reassurance.

[ 05-09-2013, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Dukhi ]

Posts: 13 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dukhi and welcome to the scarleteen message boards,

You don't sound creepy to me. You sound thoughtful, and a little unsure.

If you used the condom correctly (using it for all genital contact) and it did not break or slide off, then you can trust that it did it's job. You actually used two birth control methods: condom and withdrawal. Take a look here for the effectiveness raes of combining birth control methods:

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

You've said that if something went wrong (and by this I think you mean pregnancy) there would be nothing you could do. this isn't quite true.

For starters, if you had a condom break, you still have an option. Depending on how old your girlfriend is, and her ability to get to a pharmacy or clinic, she could choose to take emergency contraception, which does reduce the risk that pregnancy would happen.

if pregnancy did occur, there still would be options besides carrying the pregnancy to term and parenting--namely terminating the pregnancy or carrying it to term and adoption. Admittedly, those choices aren't easy for a lot of people, and life becomes, depending on the choice made, less simple, but there are options.

You also hav the option, if you're just feeling like, after all the information you've read, you can't handle *any* risk of pregnancy of opting not to engage in sexual activities that could lead to pregnancy. I often get the impression that people feel like once they start having that kind of sex, they aren't supposed to go back to not having it. It doesn't work like that. [Smile] It's always okay to talk with a partner and decide together that this just isn't the right sexual activity for you right now.

By the by, have you talked with your girlfriend about feeling nervous and unsure about the risk of pregnancy?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dukhi
Neophyte
Member # 107475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dukhi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By me saying there's nothing we can do anymore, I meant like in terms of emergency contraception or anything, like at this point, only thing to do is wait and see what happens. That's the thing that makes me unsure.

And I have talked to her. We're both coming to terms with it, like I'm not as uncomfortable about having sex simply because we're both very open and understanding about it, neither of us wants to influence the other's decision.

Thanks for the link to the buddy system, looking at the percentage rates for that was really helpful

Posts: 13 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nodding. I'm glad the link was helpful. The risk here really is very, very low.

Would you like any help with figuring out what you're comfortable with for the future?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.