Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Transition from the pill to the ring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Transition from the pill to the ring
Shepard
Neophyte
Member # 107238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shepard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if there is a risk of being unprotected during the time of switching birth control methods?

My girlfriend and I use condoms, withdrawal and the pill normally, but she recently got nuvaring. She said her doctor said that they both use hormones and there would be no gap in effectiveness. I just would like another opinion to confirm this.

Thanks.

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as she put the ring in on the day that she would have started a new pack of pills (so that her placebo week wasn't any more than 7 days) then there should be no change in effectiveness. Plus, with condoms and withdrawal, you're very well protected against pregnancy anyways.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.