Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Questions About Condom Use

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions About Condom Use
schroeder
Activist
Member # 73255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for schroeder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry if this is too detailed but my husband and I recently tried having sex with me sitting on his lap facing him. He said he enjoyed it but is worried about the condom slipping in this position. He has also never ejaculated with a condom on without withdrawing first.

Are condoms less effective without withdrawal and does this sound like something that is likely to cause a condom to break or slip? Additionally should he put on a new condom if we change sex positions (still vaginal intercourse)?

Posts: 90 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay to be candid here, no worries. [Smile]

Withdrawal isn't part of condom use, it's an extra method people can add on. Condoms are as effective as condoms are (around 98% in perfect use, 85% in typical use) when the person wearing them ejaculates. They're designed for that, after all.

You don't need to switch condoms when you change positions: if the condom is still on when you switch, it's all good.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
schroeder
Activist
Member # 73255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for schroeder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the clarification Heather. I thought that was the case but I think that he still feels uncomfortable ejaculating inside me because he's really worried getting me pregnant.
Posts: 90 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there schroeder!

In terms of the effectiveness of condoms, saying that condoms are less effective without withdrawal suggests that condoms aren't effective, and they most certainly are when used properly. However, withdrawing prior to ejaculation with a condom on would decrease the risk of pregnancy.

As for whether the condom would break or slip in that position, I'm not sure. Have you noticed it slipping while in that position? I would think that it wouldn't, being that condoms are made in such a way that they shouldn't slip or break depending on how your bodies are oriented.

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.