Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » anti-biotics w/ implant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anti-biotics w/ implant?
pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkunicornxo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I've had my Nexplanon implant since Oct 2012 and was told it was very effective and is very rarely effected by medications like the pill is, I was on nitrofurantoin for a couple of days and a day after finishing them I had sex and didnt even think about AB's effecting my implant, I'm also on the Pill to regulate my bleeding on the Pill and now I'm having a panic attack about being pregnant I've looked online a lot and most websites have said common antibiotics dont affect the implant only ones for TB and HIV do I'm really scared someone help please? [Frown]
Posts: 41 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the doctor who prescribed the antibiotics know that you have the implant?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkunicornxo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah and they didnt say anything about it interacting at all which is why I kind of just forgot so worried

--------------------
xoxoxo

Posts: 41 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, if your healthcare provider didn't see it as an issue, then it's most likely not one. If you wanted to double-check that you could call your pharmacy, or the office of the healthcare provider who prescribed the antibiotic.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

Thank you, I e-mailed NHS Direct here in the UK and they emailed me a link to say the implant isnt affected by common antibiotics such as nitrafuratoin and I dont think NHS would lie to me
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're welcome. And no, NHS has no reason to lie oto you. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

So its my pill free week now on day 5 and still no bleeding and I usually come on by today [Frown] I had a bit of brown discharge yesterday but so far thats it! I'm so frustrated, I know I have the implant as well so that could mess up my withdrawal bleed I have all my usual symptoms too like cramping, crying, feeling moody so wheres my bleed? [Frown] Sorry for the rant but im so stressed about it
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given that you're taking two methods of birth control which are not typically prescribed at the same time, I just don't feel it's sound for us to advise you on this.

Rather, I'd call into the clinic or physician which has you on both the implant and pill and ask them about it.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.