Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » gential herpes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gential herpes
yvonne1
Neophyte
Member # 107375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yvonne1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to know if one person has genital herpes and sleeps with a non infected person will they automatically get the disease?? no condom was used
Posts: 5 | From: north carolina | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Infections are never automatic.

Think about a common cold, for instance. Someone has one, and some people they come into contact get it, but others don't. Mostly it boils down to different immune systems and states of health.

So, so, is someone sleeps with someone with HSV-2, their risk of contracting it is high, but it's not a given. They also may not contract it.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yvonne1
Neophyte
Member # 107375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yvonne1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard different from a doctor who specializes in std's without the symptoms present the uninfected person gets it through body fluids and shedding of the skin from the infected person....its very contagious
Posts: 5 | From: north carolina | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is very contagious. Just like a cold is very contagious.

But a virus being very contagious still doesn't mean everyone exposed to it gets it. That's just not how bodies and infectious disease work.

If a doctor literally told you every single person ever exposed to HSV has gotten it and will get it, I'd seriously question that doctor's credibility as someone with any understanding of infectious disease.

[ 04-23-2013, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yvonne1
Neophyte
Member # 107375

I know three people who got it from one person and I also know a college football player who got it he is very athletic and in good shape caught it from his girlfriend......people go sumtimes for years without knowing they have it comes they didnot have a outbreak. it stays in ur body as un active until u get a outbreak now a healthy immune system will help have fewer outbreaks but that dnt mean u dnt have it comes.
Heather
Member # 3

That is true that some people, many people, will not know they have contracted HSV for a long time, and that plenty who have will not have a visible outbreak for a very long time.

However, that does not change the fact that not everyone exposed to the virus contracts the virus.

I'm not going to get into arguments about how immune systems work, because we know -- anyone who studies the basics of infectious disease knows -- that there is no illness which everyone contracts when they are exposed to it.

Herpes is no exception: some people will contract it when exposed, others will not. We know for a fact some people have an immunity to it.

As well, we know that not everyone has HSV, even though we can be sure nearly everyone has been exposed to at least type 1, usually before they are teens. This is why when you look at resources like the CDC and the World Health organization, you won't read that 100% of people have it or get it (even when tested for it with tests we know can accurately identify the virus with or without outbreaks): because they don't. You will also read at resources like that that people when exposed *can* contract the virus: the reason they don't say will, rather than can, is that not everyone does.

By all means, I'm sure we all know some people who contracted HSV of either type: given it's prevalence, it'd be hard to go through a lifetime without knowing some people who have. But knowing some people who have doesn't mean all people have or do.

If you'd like some links about infectious diseases in general (of which HSV is one) and from credible sources that can explain this to you, if you like. Here's one to get you started: http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/infectious/how-infectious-diseases-work.htm

Can I ask, though, what your personal concern is here? Are you someone who has been exposed directly -- in other words, who engaged in sex without using safer sex -- and is worried? Or did practice safer sex with someone with HSV, but are not sure how much that may have protected you? Or someone with HSV concerned about passing it on? Or are you concerned about how to protect yourself from HSV? We might make better headway here talking in actuals rather than theoreticals.

As a P.S., our websites and it services are intended for and dedicated to people under the age of 25. So, we always need to limit the amount of time we spend with users coming in who are in their 30s and up because young people are who we need to serve first and foremost. That given, I'll ask that you also recognize and understand a conversation with someone your age is something we need to limit in order to provide for the population we're here for most.

[ 04-23-2013, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

yvonne1
Neophyte
Member # 107375

how do I delete my account??
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't normally delete accounts unless there's an issue with safety. If that's the case, you can use the "contact us" button to send us an email and discuss the situation further.

[ 04-24-2013, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.