Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Doctors, STIs, etc.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doctors, STIs, etc.
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m_azul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I hope you all have been doing well, and I have being doing great [Smile]

Quick question, I am on my parents insurance and I have a check up/blood work coming up. I have been in a monogamous relationship with a guy for 5 years and have never have vaginal intercourse. Same for him (he has never had another gf). Say for some reason I went to the doc, and had an sti or something, would that be all over my dads insurance?
Also, are most simply treated with a round of antibiotics? And does the medicine have "for STIs" all over it? Just in case, I just don't want my dad to have to see all that, ya know? And I am not a minor if that counts for anything. Thanks guys!

Posts: 281 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there m_azul!

If you're going in for a typical check up, your doctor isn't likely going to test you for STIs unless you ask. And since you're going in for a typical check up, it shouldn't state anywhere on the insurance bill what you got tested for, if you were to ask.

In terms of bacterial STIs, I believe they're treated with a range of antibiotics, which I'm not sure about the details on. I'm doubting that the medicine would be blatant about what it was for; it would probably just say "x mg of penicillin", depending on what and how much of it there is.

If anyone else can shed some light on this, please do!

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m_azul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Help! I need some answers please! Okay so my mom has been diagnosed with sebaceous cysts in her genital area. They gyno stated that they can actually be hereditary! I would like some info on this please (if you think I could have this after reading my issue)....

Okay, so I had some itching, but shaved and that went away. I was spotting, but I became less stressed and that too went away (thankfully!)

Now, I've had this burning prickling feeling down there, and could NOT figure out the issue. Tonight I got to looking, and I have a pink-based, white topped little bump right on the edge of my opening. I'm afraid [Frown] my mom said hers started out this way, but I'm afraid that this could be something serious like cancer. I have only been with one partner, and he's only been with me. So we should be free of STIs, so I suppose that rules out herpes?

Thank you in advance

Posts: 281 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no way for us to know what this issue is; it will take a doctor taking a look (and running tests if they think that's necessary) to know for sure. You mentioned above that you have a checkup coming up, so this is something you can mention at that appointment.

To circle back around to your initial post in this thread, even though you and your partner have not had other sexual partners, it is important to have regular STI screening; I think it's a very good idea to talk to your doctor when you're there to ask about getting tested. Remember that just because STIs are often transmitted through sexual contact it doesn't mean they're only transmitted that way. This is mostly a side-note, not an indication that I think you have an STI, but if you haven't had STI tests before and you are going to talk to a doctor soon anyway, I think it's great to think about this and get in the habit now. =)

We have a good article about this which may be helpful to read: Testing, Testing...
Medication for STIs varies, but generally it won't be labeled any differently from other prescription drug bottles; it would probably take some serious snooping for someone to figure out what they were for. Much of how doctors and pharmacies operate is based on protecting patient privacy. But this is something you could ask your doctor about just so you'll know in advance how that would be handled.

One thing I've done when I know there are a lot of things I want to ask a doctor is to write them out in a list so that I can just pull it out when I'm in the examination room to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Sometimes I get nervous and will forget something I wanted to talk about! If you feel that this might be an issue for you, it may help to just write a quick list down. =)

Right now, until you can get in to talk to your doctor, I think it's a good idea to treat this the same way you would other worries you've talked about here on the boards: now is a good time to make sure you're not looking at any websites to fuel your fears, do your best to relax, and take care of yourself while you're waiting.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Actually, may I correct that? I went to check again (should've before posting the first time, my apologies)

This spot is tiny, but a bit painful... Mainly when I move the wrong way/touch it. It's just inside the opening, but not at my corona really. It's not white as I had thought, it's just a hardened darker pink spot with a bit of pink/redness around it. The sides of my vulva also get reddened every now and tgen over the past two days. Now I personally think this could be a type of irritation. I know only a doc would know, but if I had to go it probably won't be very soon :/ but when I was young (before reproductive age) I was told by a doctor not to use bubble bath, strong fragranced body wash, etc. because I'd get really red and be in pain (and also get a UTI).

But now, I take really, really long baths (which I'd hate to give up [Frown] ) i often sit in there with soap in my water. and I also sweat ALOT, which is another bad mark towards me.... This sounds much like irritation of the vaginal in my opinion, now that I've thought it all out. I'd just like to have one of the volunteers' opinion, ya know?

My gyno nurse practitioner questioned me when I got BCPs, and she said I could wait for std testing for now. Im a little afraid of that, but I've talked to my fiancé and he has been honest about what he's done with whom, and so I know he hasn't been unfaithful.

So I'm assuming this is either what my mom (and other female family members have, or irritation.
What could I do for this irritation? What helps?
Also, my mom said "the things you do with him [my fiance] have probably caused that." Sooo.... Of course it scared me.

m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Sorry, just saw your reply after all that! What are the other ways STIs may be spread??
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Also! Can the hymen/corona be bumpy like? It's tender this morning, but I'm not sure that its irritated and naturally bumpy when I touch it, or if it should be completely smooth since I've never paid attention before. I'm just very scared about cancer :'(
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

OK so sorry guys for like ten thousand posts! I had to look at some anatomy. I have a pinkish white bump on my minor labia. Can pores get clogged in that area?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pores can get clogged on any part of the body.

If this doesn't go away, or if it gets worse, over the next few days, seeing a healthcare provider would be a sonud thing to do, not because this indicates something serious, but because it's a good idea to have things like this looked at and it lingering or getting worse could indicate an infection, which a healthcare provider can help you with.

So for now, just watch it, avoid irritating it, and see what happens.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Okay. Thanks Robin. Which would be better? Soaking in a warm, soap-free bath or taking showers?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A hot bath shouldn't harm anything, unless you find that it is uncomfortable. If you're concerned about your soap, switching to an mild unscented soap would be a good idea.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Okay. I'll keep a watch. It's just a scary thing as I've never had this happen to me before.
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Hey guys, I've watched my issue over the weekend. It was a red bump with a white top, and inflamed all around. I've been soaking in Epsom salt in a hot bath, and the soreness, itching, and inflammation are gone. I still have a small bump that doesn't really hurt or itch. It has gotten better. Do you all think it would probably be okay if I watch it a few more days?

Also, I've become concerned over HPV. (Smart me looked online about my issue) and I'm a bit confused. How does one acquire HPV? By having sexual contact with an infected partner? I was wondering if it could just spring up between two healthy people.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hey there m_azul,

It's really up to you whether you consult a doctor about the bump on your genitals. That's not a decision we can make for you. Maybe it would help you decide if you thought about what you would do if there was a bump like that on any other part of your body. [Smile]

Here's some information on HPV. If it doesn't clear up your confusion, let us now and we can talk about it some more.

The STI Files: Human Papillomavirus (HPV)

[ 04-15-2013, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Well my confusion I can't find in articles, unless I over looked it. Can HPV appear out of nowhere between a healthy couple?

All I saw was from one infected partner to another, or if someone has had multiple partners at a young age are more at risk. I guess that means when one of those multiple partners are infected without knowing it?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

A lot of people have HPV without knowing it. Since it's a virus, it doesn't just come out of no where. One would have to get it from someone.

--------------------
Robin

m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Okay, thank you so much! So it's most likely just a place like I'd get on my face. Especially since my last period I figured out my pads irritated me pretty bad.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.