Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » PCOS and emergency contraceptive pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PCOS and emergency contraceptive pill
rosea*1
Neophyte
Member # 107236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosea*1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I have a history of PCOS and had taken oral contraceptive pills like Diane 35, and metformin tablets (glyciphase SR 500) in the past for its treatment, though for last three-four months I am not on any of these and having my periods regularly. Is taking an emergency contraceptive pill (i pill for example)safe? I also have hypothyroidism and take 25 micrograms of thyroxin.
Also, if unprotected sex happened on the 6th day from the start of my cycle, and my usual cycle is about 30 days, how is the chance of a pregnancy?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With an existing health condition, you really want to ask the doctor you see for your PCOS.

It *should* be safe (especially since you already have been okayed for other contraceptive pills), but since it sounds like you are being treated for that condition, I'd just call in to double-check.

Just knowing the number of days in your cycle doesn't actually give me sound information about when you may be most or least fertile. To tell you that, you'd have to be someone who could share daily charting of cervical mucus and/or basal temperatures you've done for at least a few months.

But, if you are not using any method of contraception and has intercourse without any method, then you most likely have had a risk of pregnancy, no matter where you are in your cycle.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68235 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosea*1
Neophyte
Member # 107236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosea*1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Heather !
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hp1
Neophyte
Member # 107679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hp1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi ... i am 21 yr old girl married. i had a sex with my husband i took ecp pill 2 tablets after 20 mins of sex ... so i wanted to know by taking the pill on time there r still chances to be pragnant andi am having lower abdomen pain as well after taking pills? thanks waiting for ur answer?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, hp1.

Emeregency contraception, like every other kinds of contraception, is not 100% effective, so yes, there is still a chance of becoming pregnant.

However, it is very small: it is 98% when taken in the first 24 hours after sex, so while that risk is still there, it's about as small a risk as it gets.

You can look at the information sheet for the ECP to see the possible side effects: you'll note one of them listed is nausea, so no, that symptom isn't unusual.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68235 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hp1
Neophyte
Member # 107679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hp1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so what else i should do not to be pragnant ?? give me some idea?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hp1
Neophyte
Member # 107679

and kindly tell me can i do pragnancy strip test idid sex on 7 june friday?
hp1
Neophyte
Member # 107679

is bleeding and spotting necessary after taking pills? because i am not having any spotting and bleeding and my mensus cycle will start at the end of the month so is it necessary to bleed ?
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mean what can you do to prevent pregnancy from this risk? Or do you want to know what you can do in the future to prevent pregnancy?

You can take a pregnancy 14 days after your risk or after your next expected period is late, which ever comes first.

Bleeding and spotting can be a side effect of plan B but its happening (or not happening) is not sign that it has worked or not.

Posts: 244 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hp1
Neophyte
Member # 107679

yup i mean what can i do to prevent pregnancy ?
hp1
Neophyte
Member # 107679

yup i mean what can i do to prevent pregnancy ?and abdomial pain is due to pills?
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still not 100% sure which version of the question you would like me to answer so, just so all your concerns are met I'll answer both. [Smile]

At this point there is nothing more you can do about the risk you already had other than wait it out and take a test when the time comes.

Going forward you have lots of options though. I'm not sure where you're located, and what your access to healthcare is like but here are a couple of articles to start you off.

The first one goes through different types of birth control and is meant to help you find one that will suite you best. The second is a quick list of effectiveness ratings for individual and paired use of different birth control methods.

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexuality/birth_control_bingo

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/the_buddy_system_effectiveness_rates_for_backing_up_your_birth_control_with_a_s

Posts: 244 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hp1
Neophyte
Member # 107679

okay thank u soo much .. [Smile]
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Abominable pain might be related to taking the plan b and is listed as a side effect of the medication. It could also be from something else entirely, there's no way to know for sure. If it is severe or doesn't go away I'd check with a doctor.
LissaCroft
Neophyte
Member # 109485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LissaCroft     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Emeregency contraception, like every other kinds of contraception, is not 100% effective, so yes, there is still a chance of becoming pregnant.You can take a pregnancy 14 days after your risk or after your next expected period is late, which ever comes first. Going forward you have lots of options though. I'm not sure where you're located, and what your access to healthcare is like but here are a couple of articles to start you off.
Posts: 5 | From: usa | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.