Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » from passion to total blah

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: from passion to total blah
Prozac
Activist
Member # 79657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prozac         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I had sex with my boyfriend for the first time (first time with him, not first time ever) today. I had great plans for how the first time would be, and of course NONE of them happened...

I've read your article on how sex shouldn't "just happen" a thousand times, because I've had that happen to me a lot. But apparently it didn't stick, because that's exactly what happened this morning. It wasn't a conscious decision -- not really. I mean, at one point I thought to myself, "Maybe we should stop," but I simultaneously felt that it was some pretty rockin' sex and I didn't WANT to stop so I didn't say anything.

Now I don't want to STOP having sex with my boyfriend, but at the same time, trying to be active in my sex life is making me feel so... blah. We've decided to have sex tomorrow, and do it the way I originally had planned -- romantic, slow and gentle -- but now I'm so nervous about the whole thing that I just want to quit and not do it at all.

On top of that, I'm not sure having sex with my boyfriend was the right decision in the first place, since it "just happened" and it just seems too soon, and now (as my psychiatrist predicted) my PTSD is flaring up (I've had prior sexual trauma) and I don't know, I both want to have sex with my boyfriend again but I also don't. In fact, I'm actually getting the urge to dump him and run screaming in the opposite direction, which is COMPLETELY illogical because my boyfriend is great and I really have feelings for him and I don't know. I just don't know.

Posts: 68 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
That Strange CT child
Activist
Member # 104246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for That Strange CT child     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While ive never had sex with anyone, i often feel like this about a lot of things
Its like "i want to... but i dont want to as well"
Idk if its from overthinking, fatigue, anxiety or whatever else, but in the end its your call
Try to take a breath and focus on something else for a while, remember how you feel for him as a person, and whatever physical things you decide to do r your choice but dont make rash decisions such as dumping him because of the impulse to do so
Does he have the same kind of anxiety about this whole thing as you??
I would sit him down and have a serious talk but be careful not to turn it into an attack on one another [Wink]

--------------------
It is my hope that what i ask here is answered for me and anyone else afraid to ask the same question :)

Posts: 133 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there prozac,

Though to act on your urge to dump him might be impulsive, it's also important not to disregard the feeling that even a fraction of you doesn't want to do this.

I think it might be wise to shelve some of the sexual activities that make you feel uncomfortable, until you can figure out why you're feelings are conflicted. You can take things as slow as YOU need to in order to feel comfortable. You do mention that you don't want to stop having sex with your boyfriend, so maybe you can sit down and talk to him about ways you can be intimate with him that won't trigger your PTSD or overall negative feelings?

We can also guide you to understanding why you're feeling this way, but understand that we can't substitute professional help- if you feel that that's what you need, we'll support you all the way!

Could you elaborate a little about your nervous feelings about having sex with him tomorrow?

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Allie here, Prozac: sounds like you're in the midst of a moment of some big clarity on your feelings, so I'd make room for that right now.

I think it'll be a lot more useful if you just make time to work out those feelings -- either by skipping tonight and hanging out by yourself to think them through or, if it feels more sound, talking this all through with your boyfriend honestly -- rather than take huge actions. You can still take actions, and probably be more sure they're the best choices for you, after you've really worked this stuff through.

You might also see if you can't call one of your therapists to get help thinking this out.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prozac
Activist
Member # 79657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prozac         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I tried talking to my boyfriend about the whole thing, and we ended up just getting really frustrated about the whole thing and... our relationship is over. :(

It was more his decision than mine, but deep down, I can't help but feel like it was the right thing to do even so...

Posts: 68 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you feel that way because it was?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prozac
Activist
Member # 79657

I think -- I can't find the link to my earlier post, but I think Heather remembers what I'm talking about -- my therapist was right. I'm just not ready for a relationship right now. I need to get my own head screwed on straight, or at least a little straighter than it is now, before I dive in to another relationship.
Heather
Member # 3

Well, I think you have every right to make that determination, and if that's how you feel, then by all means, a relationship isn't going to be right for you right now.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Prozac
Activist
Member # 79657

Thank you for your help everyone. I need to go be alone now... just... alone.
Heather
Member # 3

Hang in there. Prozac. Take good care of yourself.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.