Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » HIV Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HIV Questions
MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarilynSexy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is a 3 month HIV blood test reliable?

Also

1) I was in class and i poked myself with a pin used to hold paper on the board i didn't draw blood, is that a risk for HIV?

2) I was gently bitten the skin doesn't appear to be broken, no blood is drawn, am I at risk? I do have a scratch that seems to be old next to it tho and it also looks old, not broken or bloody or anything

3)Does Saliva pass HIV from one person to another

Thank You

Posts: 58 | From: LA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there, Marilyn. [Smile]

You can find these answers and more to your HIV questions right here: Positively Informed: An HIV/AIDS Roundup.

If there's anything there you find you don't understand, feel free to swing back to the boards and I'll be glad to help you out.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarilynSexy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is a negative 3 month test reliable though?

Also even if he did have blood in his mouth and bit my hand and it did break the skin it still wouldn't be a risk factor?

And last ques, If someone has blood in their mouth itd be noticeable right

Posts: 58 | From: LA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is, absolutely. And your healthcare provider can always tell you about the type of test they are using, and how accurate that particular test is.

I mean, ultimately, with testing for ANY STIs, we want to be regularly tested, because incubation periods can differ so much. So, thinking any one test, just once, for anything is 100% isn't so wise. Get what I mean?

Someone biting us is always going to pose potential risks of disease, including HIV. However, the HIV risk with that is going to typically be for the person doing the biting, who gets blood in their mouths because they have bitten the other person and drawn blood.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarilynSexy
Activist
Member # 78782

Yeah they recommended i get tested again just in case but the blood test that I took I checked online was accurate i forgot the name of it, it said non reactive tho for antibodies, I wish I remm the name but I'm pretty sure its the oldest one that is around...
I am going to get tested again, def after the 1 year mark, my main fear was from the Oral sex, then the pricking and now the biting LOL but the oral one was when I had the 3 month test done for being non reactive, and itll be a year at the end of april since I had oral sex so thats when I will do it again, I think I want to do the one in school tho because its faster however I'm afraid its not confidenetial beacause they have you write down your name with why your there in the sign up sheet, I dn't want anyone seeing my name next to HIV you know? Also I do realize the pricking doesnt;t really give me a risk because I didn't draw blood, same for the being bitten. But yeah what do you think about the oral swab at school? should i just go do the blood test instead?

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found a good article about testing here that talks about different types of tests and the time-frame in which you should test. From that article: "If an individual’s test is still negative at six months, and they have not been at risk of HIV infection in the meantime, it means they are not infected with HIV."

In terms of confidentiality, any doctor's office, including a student clinic, has to follow a lot of rules regarding your personal information; someone who works there may see what you write down but they wouldn't release that information. If you worry about the next person to sign the sign-in sheet seeing what you wrote, there's no reason you couldn't write "testing" or "checkup" or something really vague, and then tell whoever's working what you're there for specifically. I'd be really surprised if someone working the reception desk gave you a hard time about that.
Also, you could give them a call to see how they handle privacy around testing before you go, so you're prepared for it.

(And of course I do want to point out that if someone looks askance at you for taking care of your own sexual health, which is really all you're doing here by following up on testing, then that's a big problem with them and not something that you're doing wrong.)

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.