Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Let's workshop your safer sex habits!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Let's workshop your safer sex habits!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you just can't seem to get some part of it down consistently. Or, there's a part of it you know you could do better with, but you're struggling to do that. Perhaps you just don't even know how to get started with the practices and things that are involved in reducing your STI risks, or you're stuck only focusing on pregnancy risks even though, for the age group we serve your STI risks are greater.

Here to help!

Seriously, let's work on this together. Feel free to post whatever issues you're having are, and I will walk you through it, give you some helps, and get you on track to doing a better job of taking care of your sexual health and well-being in this regard.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaidbedding16
Neophyte
Member # 105717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plaidbedding16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my biggest problem would be bringing up using protection in the first place? I don't know what exactly I'm asking for... maybe a good way to start the conversation? I know he would be willing to do it, but I have a lot of issues communicating my needs!

My next big issue would be picking up things like condoms and lube. Personally I would feel extremely self conscious walking around my local grocery store with these things. I would be afraid to run into someone I know.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy to help!

When you say "he" in your first question, I assume then you're talking about negotiating safer sex with a partner you already are with?

If so, can I ask how you have started any conversations in the past you have felt unsure or nervous about? And also why -- it sounds like this -- you feel this is only about your needs?

In terms of buying condoms and lube, the grocery store probably isn't your only option, so one choice here would be to buy them somewhere you feel more comfortable buying them.

In the case the store is your only option, what's the fear of running into someone you know about? About people you know not knowing you're engaging in sex and finding out because of condoms in your basket, or....?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.