Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Plan B

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan B
grandrapgirl11
Neophyte
Member # 107291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grandrapgirl11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question regarding Plan B & effectiveness

So I had about thirty seconds of not protected penetration without ejaculation, and about three hours later I took Plan B because I was worried about it. I know you can get pregnant from pre-cum. I went to the doctor's office that same day to get on Birth Control and I had a pee hCG test done, and a pap smear. hCG test was negative - which figures since it was only a few hours later.

The side effects from Plan B have been pretty minimal - no bleeding, just cramping in the lower abdomen that feels like period cramps. I'm supposed to get my period tomorrow, but I have none of the usual signs of it like I usually do. That being said, it's not always like clockwork either. I'm just freaking out (and so is my boyfriend) because I'm in grad school and I'm not wanting to have a baby at this point in my life. I had my last period on March 13th, and it lasted 6 days. I am supposed to get my period on April 10th, but that could vary. The date of penetration was April 1st.

Do you think it was effective? How much does the Plan B pill throw it off? The fact that the instructions say "it could make your period come early, it could make your period come late" really doesn't make anyone feel better.

Any help would be appreciated!

Posts: 1 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can't possibly say if Plan B was effective for you or not: the only way anyone can ever know if it was or wasn't is if they do or don't wind up being pregnant.

In terms of what Plan B can do to menstrual cycles, it really is all over the place. I'm sorry we can't do better than that, but no one can, because it really varies so much with people.

However, it's always advised that anytime you use Plan B, you take a pregnancy test after using it if your period doesn't arrive around when you expect it. That's because it isn't 100% effective, and it's assuming people taking it did have a risk of pregnancy, otherwise they wouldn't have taken it.

Moving forward, if you want any help negotiating sex or condom use with partners, let us know: always happy to talk folks through that. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no way to know if Plan B was effective other than waiting and taking a pregnancy test. A same-day test is definitely not going to be able to give results, but you can just wait and test again, either at the doctor's office or with a home test.

Plan B can definitely impact when your period comes, but how much and in what way will vary from person to person, which is why the instructions were so vague. But if it doesn't arrive when you expect it, you can wait until a pregnancy test will be effective and take another one. A nice rundown on pregnancy testing can be found here: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

Because you had genital contact without barrier use, there is also a risk of STI transmission here. Are you and your partner up to date on STI screenings? If not, this is a great time to take care of that.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.