Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » late period on pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: late period on pill?
pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkunicornxo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya so I've had my Nexplanon implant since October 2012 had heavy periods for a month on and off and my nurse recommended I go on the pill so went to my doctors who also agreed and was prescribed Cilest for 3 months Im on my final month now and was due my period yesterday and it didnt come [Frown] I had a bit of spotting like I normally do before my period starts a day before I start but nothing grr. I was on antibiotics for a UTI a couple of weeks ago but didnt have sex during that time I was on them but did have sex 4 days before I got prescribed them so Im now worried Im pregnant [Frown] Any help please? I know its unlikely I am but just want a bit of reassurance [Frown]

--------------------
xoxoxo

Posts: 41 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexalex
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 100767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will take several days from the time you take your last "active" pill to when your period actually shows up. That last week of pills for your period week are actually placebos- they don't do anything at all- and it's that sudden withdrawal of hormones that triggers your body to start bleeding. But it takes a few days for the hormone levels to go down far enough for the bleed to start. Give it at least 3 or 4 days and it will probably show up :-)
Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, do you still have your implant in? If so, you don't need to worry about the antibiotics, because the implant isn't affected by any of the usual antibiotics, so your chance of pregnancy would be the usual extraordinarily-tiny chance with the implant. If you do still have your implant, your pill isn't giving you any extra protection from pregnancy, it's just trying to manage the side-effect of the bleeding you've had.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkunicornxo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone thanks for the responses I actually started my period a bit after I posted this, on my 6th day of my pill free week which is why I was so concerned when I usually come on on my 5th day guess my body just decided to change its mind this month haha I still have my implant in and was pretty unsure as to whether it was effected by my antibiotics but atleast I know now for future reference that its all good [Smile]

--------------------
xoxoxo

Posts: 41 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.