Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » lube question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lube question
talle53
Neophyte
Member # 102992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for talle53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for possible TMI here, I just cannot think of literally anyone else I can ask about this, so...

I learned on my own, ages ago, that nothing containing glycerine should ever go in or near my vagina. Lube containing glycerine gave me yeast infections and made me smell really, really bad. So I switched to using massage oil as lube when I masturbate and figured that was that.

Except now I have a boyfriend, and we want to have sex, but we also want to use condoms. We have tried with condoms without lube, but it was really uncomfortable for me and didn't really work that well. And then there's the whole I'm-relying-on-this-piece-of-rubber-to-not-get-pregnant factor, so I don't want to take unnecessary risks of them breaking. And obviously massage oil is not gonna fly when condoms are involved.

I had a look at a bunch of different lubes in the supermarket, and every label I looked at listed glycerine as an ingredient. I live more than an hour away from a sex shop, so that's not really an option. So do you know of any brands of lube that I can get from a pharmacy or supermarket in Australia which are glycerine free and condom safe? I could possibly order something from the internet as well provided the packaging is discreet. (I mean like plain cardboard box with completely not-suss return address discreet, my housemates have eagle eyes and will give me hell.)

Also on a slightly unrelated note, how much oil does it take to damage a condom? We often give each other massages and such before or while we get it on and often both end up covered in the stuff, so I'm a little bit worried that the tiny amount we might get on the condom when putting it on or whatever could break it.

Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 1 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
talle53 and welcome to Scarleteen,

Many people get yeast infections from glycerin in lubes. You're not alone there.

I'm not familiar with the brands available in Australia, so I'm going to do some digging around for you.

Using lube with condoms definitely increases the comfort factor, and decreases the risk of them breaking.

As to the massage oil, I'd suggest that both you and your partner wash your hands before using a condom, trace amounts of oil, just to be on the safe side.

I'll get back to you with some brand suggestions. Most places that do ship lube ship it in discrete packaging, so if you need to order it online, that shouldn't be a problem.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Talle53. Astroglide (which is widely available) has just come out with a new natural lube that doesn't contain glycerin. It's called Astroglide Natural, so that's one you may want to have a look for. If you can't find it in a supermarket or pharmacy, D.Vice sells it and the packaging they use won't say anything about lube; like most places, they're very discreet. (If you'd like, I do have a friend who works in their Melbourne store, so I can double-check with her about what the packaging will look like.)

Pink Water is another option, one I know for sure is available in pharmacies and supermarkets (and one of my favourites; I didn't buy it because it's glycerin free but that's definitely a plus). It's a bit thinner than Astroglide tends to be, so depending on what you want, that could be a very good option.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.