Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » This might be a dumb question, but...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This might be a dumb question, but...
Curly_Jai90
Neophyte
Member # 101007

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Curly_Jai90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Scarleteen Community!

My partner and I experimented with fingering/manual sex a couple of nights ago. (My first time). The experience was pleasurable and I liked it (although I much preferred him rubbing my clitoris more so than him actually fingering me). But then I started reading about the possibility of getting an STI when having manual sex.

Something I've begun to wonder about is this - if fingering/manual sex poses an STI risk, does masturbation too? I've been masturbating for quite a while, and that never crossed my mind until now. Essentially, him giving me manual sex and me masturbating are the same actions; the only difference being WHO is doing the touching. So does the risk factor branch out to masturbation as well?

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Scarleteen Curly! The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

No there is no risk of STIs during masturbation. The important difference between masturbation and partnered sex of any kind (in terms of STI risk) is that masturbation involves you and only you. In situations where there is a risk of STI transmission this is because you can get and STI FROM your partner. You can't get an STI from yourself, even if the physical thing you're doing is the same, because if you have no STI, you can't give it to yourself. Conversely if you have an STI, it is possible to give it to a partner, but not to yourself because you already have it.

Put more simple, STIs are transferred from one person to another, in order to have a risk of STI transmission, there needs to be at least two people engaging in an activity that poses a risk.

(Also, I'm not quite clear on whether or not manual sex DOES pose an STI risk. My understanding of it is that it is only IF the there is a cut on the hands of the partner performing manual sex. But the volunteers or staff will have to fill you in on the details, and you can look around the site for articles about this.)

Both manual sex and masturbation can pose a risk of infection if the person using their hands does not wash them first. Some make sure to wash your hands and/or have your partner wash theirs.

EDIT and to clarify, by "infection" in the last paragraph, I mean the kind of infection that comes from bacteria, like what you might get in a cut that gets dirt in it

[ 02-06-2013, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: moonlight bouncing off water ]

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 859 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curly_Jai90
Neophyte
Member # 101007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curly_Jai90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Moonlight!

I'm feeling better about this now. So by him washing his hands, there would be little to no risk of an STI, correct?

I'll admit, I asked if his hands were clean AFTER the fact (I got a little carried away in the heat of the moment to ask first - oops!) and he said they were, although I did not see him actually wash his hands prior to the manual sex activity. Should I be worried about the possibility of infection?

I found a small, painful bump on my labia yesterday (the day after the manual sex occurred). Previously, when I had a small bump down there, I got it checked by a gynecologist, who assured me that it was nothing more than an ingrown hair/zit. So I'm thinking that it is probably the same presently, as I don't think infections would manifest symptoms that fast (although I could be wrong). The bump hasn't gotten any bigger, and the pain hasn't intensified, although it is still there.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Curly,

You're correct in that if your partner washes their hands, you decrease the likelihood of getting an infection that comes from bacteria. It's always important to wash your hands, especially if they're going to enter an area which is prime for bacterial growth- the vaginal canal is warm and moist, which is the kind of environment bacteria love.

Fingering/manual sex comes with a low STI risk; this article provides a list of what STIs can be passed on via manual sex, as well as other kinds of sexual activity: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/crisis/sti_risk_assessment_the_cliffs_notes

Remember that you can't create STIs though- you must engage in said sexual activity with someone who already has one in order to be at risk of acquiring it.

Since you know your body better than anyone (let alone here), it might be easier for you to determine what it is. If you know you haven't engaged in unprotected sexual activity with someone who has an STI that presents itself in the same way, then that isn't a possibility. However, if it's painful and unfamiliar to you, it wouldn't hurt to speak to a gynecologist to be certain of what it could be, even if it isn't a result of an STI.

I hope this helps!

edit: I accidently forgot a word.

[ 02-07-2013, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: nindit ]

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curly_Jai90
Neophyte
Member # 101007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curly_Jai90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi nindit,

That does help, thank you! You've cleared it up for me, and it makes sense about the infection risk without hand washing.

And the bump has been hurting less, so I think it must have just been an ingrown hair or zit of some sort.

I'm feeling much more relieved about everything. [Smile]

Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad to hear it [Smile]

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.