Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » a little scared

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a little scared
Peach7262
Activist
Member # 42892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peach7262     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I just found a bump down on the outside of my vulva...and I'm kind of freaking out. My boyfriend and I are exclusive. I don't know if it's an ingrown hair ,I've had those before, I don't know if this is different. It's not cauliflower-looking like a lot of photos of warts...

I'm going to the gyno next week and I'm wondering if it would be ok to wait until then. I've been to the doctor recently for itching since I am prone to yeast infections but they did not find anything, not even a yeast infection...

I'm just nervous about what this bump could be. It's a little bit red but doesn't hurt much to touch. I'm getting a bit anxious about it.

Posts: 61 | From: MA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say it'd red, it is red kind of like a pimple under the skin looks? Or does it look far more raw on the surface?

If it's the former, waiting until your appointment next week is likely just fine, just be sure to bring this up. If it's more raw looking, I'd see if you can't possibly move that appointment up so your doctor can get a good look at it nowish.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peach7262
Activist
Member # 42892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peach7262     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is the former. It isn't raw, so maybe waiting until my appointment is fine?

Thank you. I think I am just getting very ahead of myself and in my head about this.

Posts: 61 | From: MA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things like ingrown hairs and benign cysts on the vulva are very common, and rarely anything to worry about.

By all means, if you're sexually active, and haven't started with STI testing, you'll want to do that anyway, to best care for your health. If any of the sex you've been having has been unprotected, all the more so.

But really, so long as you're doing that testing regularly -- and so is your partner -- and you're being wise about safer sex, your risks will tend to be very low. Even if you've not been practicing safer sex, most STIs, most of the time, show no symptoms. Testing is the way we found out about those. So, chances are good, this isn't about one, but with that app't, I'd suggest you ask about it anyway, and get tested anyway, since that's the very best way we find out about our status, okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peach7262
Activist
Member # 42892

Thank you [Smile]

I have been tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia, and haven't had a new partner since I've been tested. I'm getting my first pap next week. Would gonorrhea or chlamydia be possible to show up even later even though I haven't had a new partner since being tested?

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When were you tested? And how long had you been with your current partner at the time you were tested?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peach7262
Activist
Member # 42892

I was tested in October and I had been with my partner a little less than two months at the time.
Peach7262
Activist
Member # 42892

Just another question, if this were an STD and I waited until my appointment would there be any detriment to doing that?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you already determined that the bump isnt raw on the surface, no, there's likely no detriment to waiting. Since you're concerned, it might be sound to avoid sexual activities involving genitals until you get this checked out.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peach7262
Activist
Member # 42892

Hi,

So now I'm kind of freaking out...it has become a little more raised and just a teensy bit whitish. I've been having some itching in my butt area but I was thinking maybe I had a yeast infection...But this bump combined with that is making me so scared...I'm considering going to the walk-in services at health services tomorrow but I can't go until later in the day. My boyfriend and I are exclusive and have been sleeping together since September...I'm so confused. I'm really really scared and just need to relieve some of this anxiety right now...

Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Peach,

If it helps with the anxiety I've been to the doctors with things similar to this before, it has often turned out to be stuff that isn't related directly to sex at all. One time I was told that what I had was harmless and would cure itself. The impression I got was that this sort of minor non-STI stuff like bumps etc are really common... as common as a sore throat, and something which in the same way you just treat and move on.

I hope your appointment goes well, but if you'd prefer to go to the walk-in service and it'd make you feel better, I don't see why not. It's up to you [Smile]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peach7262
Activist
Member # 42892

Thanks! I went to the walk-in cause my anxiety was going crazy and it's just a pimple haha [Smile]
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you were able to get it looked at. [Smile]

Sounds like you're feeling less anxious now? [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peach7262
Activist
Member # 42892

Most definitely! Thanks [Smile]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.