Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » am i torturing myself?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: am i torturing myself?
danny_93
Neophyte
Member # 103688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danny_93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay so me and my boyfriend have been dating for about 3 months now and we have always had protected sex and I always take the plan b pill after (just in case, but I know I shouldn't) so Valentine's day the 14 we got it on with protected sex and the next day the 15 too and that same day I took the pill then the 16 we did it too with protection twice, the first time was good then the second time when I was going to get off of him the condom stayed inside me and he quickly took it out, he said that when he checked the condom was clean and that the semen probably had slipped out on the bed, but that I had nothing to worry about..I believed him at first, but my mind started to wonder and now I'm scared I don't know if I should buy the plan b pill and take it or if there's no need for it since I took it a day earlier or just wait it out..could I be pregnant? Please help me with advice!keep in mind that I always take the pill everytime after I have protected sex.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI danny_93 and welcome to Scarleteen,

The condom slipping off and staying inside you is considered a condom failure. However, since you have already taken emergency contraception, there is nothing to be gained by taking it again.

If you are concerned about pregnancy, you can take a pregnancy test 14 days or more after the day this occurred.

Emergency contraception is not intended for frequent use, and we don't really have any data on whether it is safe to use frequently. It sounds like you don't really feel secure with just condom use. Would you like to talk about other birth control options you can use in addition to condoms?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danny_93
Neophyte
Member # 103688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danny_93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Robin,
Yes i would and am really interested in learning about more methods of birth control! i have been looking into them but i really dont know what to look for, also i need advice on how to tell my mom i want to get on birth control so that i can be safe (im 19 btw)

Also i just want to know if i should take the pill again since i already took it a few days ago, will it help reduce the risk?

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking another dose of EC when you have already taken one will not reduce your risks further, no.

Have you been able, per information on BC methods, to start by walking yourself through our tool to help users find their own best methods? It's here: Birth Control Bingo!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danny_93
Neophyte
Member # 103688

Hello Heather,

I understand and i know that i shouldnt take it because it can mess with my system, its just that i am a little paranoid right now because something like that has never happened to me, and i know that there is a first for everything.
maybe taking it will put my mind at ease for a while and that will be the last time i take it and look for some real birth control.

anywho, i really liked the article on birth control. by any chance do you know anything about implanon? or which pill is better to take?

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's less about it messing with your system, and more about the fact that there's simply no point. An extra dose simply will not do anything to reduce your risks any further. And thinking it will won't change the fact that it simply lacks that capacity: magical thinking doesn't make things real that aren't.

I do know about the implant, so happy to talk with you about that.

There is no brand of pill that is "better" or "worse" for everyone. All brands of pill have the same effectiveness rate, and how a given formulation works for a unique body in terms of side effects or side benefits varies a great deal from person to person.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danny_93
Neophyte
Member # 103688

I understand..I'm just messing with myself and its not safe and a waste of money.

Heather, can you please tell me more about implanon?

Heather
Member # 3

Sure. [Smile]

What questions that you have about it weren't answered for you on the page in that piece about it?

Or, what wasn't clear for you on that page that you'd like help clearing up?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

danny_93
Neophyte
Member # 103688

Okay so this is what i understood..

i really liked the pill and the implanon

The pill in total its 3? you have to take the three pills at a time and preferably all at the same time each day in order for them to work effectively? Arent there some pills that are just one tablet a day?

and the implanon sounds best for me because it is something i wouldnt have to worry about or remember for about 3 years. But this is what i didnt understand, if you get the implanon you have to take it with another form of birth control for about 3 weeks in order for it to start working properly? Can i being 19 years old get it?

Heather
Member # 3

The birth control pill is a medication -- with any brand -- that is one pill taken once per day.

With most methods of hormonal contraception -- including the pill and implant -- it's advised to use a backup method of birth control for the start, usually anywhere from just one week to one month, depending on the method and when person starts using it.

And as an adult (and also often as a minor) nearly all methods of contraception should be available to you, with age not being a factor. Not every method will be sound for every person based on their unique bodies or health, and not everyone can get or afford every method, but this isn't about age.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

danny_93
Neophyte
Member # 103688

Also i got confused between the combination pills and the mini pills and to my understanding in reading the combination pills are way more effective than the mini pills am i correct in some way?

another thing i wanted to ask was that all these articles state or rather give you an overview of what other birth control methods the desired choice of birth control method works with?

Heather
Member # 3

Combined pills have an estrogen and a progestin. Minipills only have a progestin. Combined pills are more effective, and also often easier for people to use, since a minipill only has a three-hour grace period to take it in before a pill is late, whereas it's 12 hours with a combined pill.

Minipills, however, can be a great choice for people who can't use estrogen or don't do well with it.

I'm afraid I may not understand your second question. Are you asking if the pages in the Birth Control Bingo section tell you what other methods can be used with any given method?

If so, yes: there's a section for every method on its page, about half way down the page, which lists backup methods it can be used with.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

danny_93
Neophyte
Member # 103688

yes thats what my question meant!

and with that are you trying to say in other words you can never be too safe when it comes to birth control?

Heather
Member # 3

How much effectiveness someone wants per preventing pregnancy tends to be pretty individual.

But if and when someone is looking for the MOST protection they can get from pregnancy, then we know that the best bet is typically either a) a highly effective long-term method, like an IUD or implant or b) what's called dual contraception: two effective -- but not as effective as something like an IUD -- methods paired together, like the pill used with condoms, or condoms paired with a cervical barrier, for example.

But no matter what, we always encourage users here to pair ANY method with condoms, since no other protects against sexually transmitted infections, which are just as much of a risk as pregnancy is.

[ 02-19-2013, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

danny_93
Neophyte
Member # 103688

ooh i see

this is alot of good information!

now i am undecided about what to get i am thinking about
the implanon
the (3) pills
and maybe the shot

a health care provider would be a Gyno or a regular doctor?

Heather
Member # 3

Well, it sounds like you're at the point where it's time to talk to a healthcare provider about this.

After all, any of these methods are those where you need a provider to prescribe or administer them. You have an idea now of what methods you want to consider. You can walk into a providers office with that information, they can evaluate your health, help figure if any of these aren't a good choice based on your health, and then also help you figure which of the methods available to you will be best in terms of what you want and can use best.

OB/GYNs always can do contraception and sexual healthcare. many GPs (general physicians) do/can as well: whether or not one you already see does is something you can find out by calling and asking about it.

(Still not sure where you're getting this idea about 3 pills. Again, birth control pills are a medication where only ONE pill is taken once daily.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

danny_93
Neophyte
Member # 103688

by the three pills i mean the combined oral contraceptives and not the mini pills.

and yes i think its time to talk to the providers about it and mostly my mother. now if only i could find a good way to tell her..

Heather
Member # 3

When you talk with a provider, do be sure you ask about combined birth control pills, not "3 pills," because they just won't know what you're talking about.

It's up to you if this is something you want to talk with your mother about. You don't likely have to do get contraception, but if she's someone you want to let in on all of this and get help from, you certainly can talk with her about it.

Probably, there's no good way/bad way here. There's just telling her that you're sexually active and you want to look into getting a method of birth control.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

danny_93
Neophyte
Member # 103688

I know what you mean! i need to get the names right. Either way i think i am ready to get protected.

And well about my mother she would be upset if i were to do this type of thing behind her back since she is very old fashioned, that is why i am very hesitant about this subject or any type of subject pertaining sex with her.

Heather,which would you recommend me going to first a Gynecologist or a GP?

Heather
Member # 3

Whichever you personally prefer. Mind, if you're using health insurance or national health, sometimes one has to see a GP to get a referral to a GYN.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.