Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » EMBARRASSED! Help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EMBARRASSED! Help?
Uber_Jess
Neophyte
Member # 102586

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Uber_Jess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I go into the locker room at school or the YMCA other girls make fun of me because I don't shave my around my vagina or butt. It sucks but my boyfriend doesn't mind. But its getting so I am afraid to shower with others. Any advice?
Posts: 24 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Uber_Jess, welcome to Scarleteen, I'm sorry you're experiencing this bullying! That's exactly what this is. You have no reason to be embarrassed. It's the girls who are bullying who should be embarrassed; what they're doing is SO not okay.

Have you talked to any authority figures at school or at the YMCA centre? If you report the bullying to them, they will be able to do something to help protect you from this. Do you feel like that's something you'd be comfortable doing?

[ 02-03-2013, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uber_Jess
Neophyte
Member # 102586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uber_Jess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I am too embarrassed to tell anyone at the school or Y. Maybe if I called my big sis Jenna she could talk to them for me I don't know.
Posts: 24 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CSandSourpatch
Activist
Member # 95598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSandSourpatch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Uber_Jess,

I am a fellow female with hair. I do shave my bikini line, but for the most part, the pubic hair is there to stay.

I'll admit, it is a little intimidating and/or embarrassing to get even partially naked in front of others because of it, but, at the end of the day, it's just hair. It's not dirty, and it sure as heck isn't ugly. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who think it is. (Honestly, I prefer the non-shaved look to the shaved look, myself, but I understand that it's not a common view.)

I think part of it is that puberty is a scary thing, and that, somehow, not shaving makes you less "virginal" and therefore less desirable. And yet, everyone gets it, even guys. (So, I guess the other thing is that it's viewed as more masculine.)

Yet, in some cultures, it's rather common that women don't shave. I was in Europe for a while about ten years ago, and, young and American as I was, I was curious as to why the women I saw didn't shave their underarms or bikini lines when we went to public pools. I never really got an answer, but I just sort of became desensitized to seeing it.

Honestly, were I in your situation, I'd be reluctant to speak up, too, but if I did, I'd say something like this: "Why do you care what hair you can't see ninety-nine percent of the time looks like? It's my body and my choice, and if you don't like it, don't look. You're the one who's making it a big deal, you know." If they keep on going, I'd personally remark that it's kind of awkward that they're staring/making a big deal out of something that everyone has to begin with.

With luck, these people will eventually grow out of this. I mean, as a college student, if I'm changing with friends, it doesn't matter. If I'm in a public changing room, I just give this "I just DARE you" look to anyone who looks like they might remark--usually girls younger than I. It doesn't seem like anyone over the age of about 30 really cares anymore. [Razz]

Hopefully, this helps. Pubic hair is not a bad/shameful/scary thing--it's just hair. (Imagine that!) And know that you have many women who stand in solidarity with you, for whatever reason. What you do with it is your choice. How society reacts is all theirs.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uber_Jess
Neophyte
Member # 102586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uber_Jess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks I will think on that.
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also one thing to note is, you don't have to specify what the girls are bullying you about if you do decide to report it [Smile] You can just say that they're bullying you/they're bullying you about your body/etc. Whoever it is you tell don't need to know the exact specifics of what they're bullying you about -- fact is that it's happening, that's all that matters.
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Uber_Jess,

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Shaving of any kind is a personal choice, not an obligatory one, as society often prompts us to think. I shave my pubic hair but I now let it grow a bit before I shave it again, so I kind of switch between the two looks. The girls who bully you are to be pitied. If they want to shave, it is their choice. Why would they care if you don't? You know, there are a lot of guys who like women to be "natural-looking," and I know a few guy friends - 3 at least - who don't care if their girlfriend shaves or not. Think about it this way: if you like yourself the way you are, and your boyfriend does too, don't worry about these girls. You get to do what you want with your own body. And honestly, going natural like that is how we were meant to look, in my opinion. We only shave - again, my opinion - because our society pushes us to think that the bare look is more desirable. If I was a guy, I wouldn't even care, as long as thw girl liked me.

Please don't feel embarrassed. You get to do what you want with your pubic hair. As CSandSourpatch and Onionpie have said, it is only hair; just like the hair you'd find on your head or legs. Take care of it the way you want, and don't care about the opinions of others. I agree with CSandSourpatch: if they look, ask, "why are you looking? Why do you even care? I have the guts and the will to do what I want, and I feel good about it." I can't belive people are still closed-minded about this... It makes me mad. I have a girl friend who doesn't shave at all in the winter. It really shouldn't matter!

I hope you feel better soon. Be yourself, and that is all that matters!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the meantime Jess -- and this comes from someone who didn't shave anything at all during a time in some shared locker rooms way back when and took some crap -- while you decide what to do about reporting this or asking for help, generally, with any kind of teasing or bullying, if we do our best NOT to react, it tends to help dial things back.

People teasing are looking to get an emotional reaction from us: when we refuse to give them one (when we can: obviously sometimes we will cry or react because we've just been worn down, what can we do), they don't tend to enjoy themselves so much anymore.

So, just going on about your business, no quips back, no tears, etc. if you can manage it? Usually helps bullies get bored faster and move unto someone else.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uber_Jess
Neophyte
Member # 102586

Thanks for all your help everyone.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.