Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » MAP needed?? reply asap please!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MAP needed?? reply asap please!
WorriedGirl11
Activist
Member # 95437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WorriedGirl11         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so basically here's what happened.
I had diarrhea for one day on Saturday 19th Jan.
I forgot to take an extra pill.
5 days later, Thursday the 24th, I thought I'd taken my pill but it was still there when I checked (about 2a.m. Friday morning) so I took it. I usually take my pill at 8-9a.m.
I used withdrawal then a condom as a back-up til yesterday, the 7th day of pills after the missed one, when I had sex w/o back-up. Since I'd doubled up during the month (stupidly to stop breakthrough) I was pills short this pack, but I started my new pack yesterday as I'm a continuous pill user, so this shouldn't matter I think.

Do I need the MAP? My pack says follow instructions for a missed pill for diarrhea but also says back up til end of pack. So very confused, as http://codrux.com/medicines/100000882.html says my pack info is wrong, and 2 pills missed is okay.. Since I missed 2, if I need the MAP, I'd like to take it today if possible so help please!

[ 02-01-2013, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: WorriedGirl11 ]

Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Worried Girl,

When you say you had diarrhea, are you talking about continuously loose stools, or one or two loose bowel movements?

You followed the process most people would suggest, backing up for seven days, but it sounds like you're still worried. It's unlikely that EC will do anything more for you at this point, but ultimately it's your decision. It might help you to read through this:

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

Honestly, you've come here with a lot of anxiety about the pill. It sounds to me like making a regular habit of using a second method might alleviate a lot of these worries you've been having. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WorriedGirl11
Activist
Member # 95437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WorriedGirl11         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was just for one day, it lasted until about 4 o clock (I took over the counter medication for it.)

I was also just wondering- is withdrawal still effective if it's twice in one night?

I'm usually really secure with the pill, it's just after switching so much in the past few months my hormones are a bit all over the place!

Thanks so much for the advice [Smile]

Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Withdrawal has a high success rate so long as it's done properly--that is, withdrawing well before ejaculation.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WorriedGirl11
Activist
Member # 95437

Ah okay. And would diarrhea in this case even affect the pill?
WorriedGirl11
Activist
Member # 95437

I double-checked with a pharmacist and he insisted the MAP was necessary after any missed pill, and reffered to the fact I was close to my ovulation time. I'm left quite confused because of this! I took the MAP but would rather know whether or not it was necessary.

He also said I should back up for 21 days after my last missed pill until I'm protected again. The pack says 7 days (and he didn't have the leaflet for my pill) so I'm wondering which is correct? Thanks.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I'm not really sure what that pharmacist means by you being close to your ovulation time. People don't ovulate when on the pill, and you've been taking the pill for several months, so he cannot possibly guess when you would ovulate if you stopped taking it.

I'm sorry you're getting conflicting messages here, and ultimately you need to use the information that makes the most sense to you to make a decision.

Since your doctor is most familiar with your personal health history, you could always give your doctor's office a call and ask for their opinion, but again know that you might get a conflicting answer.

--------------------
Robin

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I'd also add that if the pharmacist didn't have the information for your specific pill then I would question where he was getting his information from.

--------------------
Robin

WorriedGirl11
Activist
Member # 95437

He said since I missed it in the 2nd week it's closest to the 14th day of my cycle and ovulation- and said if I missed one pill there, I could ovulate for the next 3-4 days. Since I was told by my doc to start my new brand of pill halfway through my old brand pack (as it's the same hormones, higher dose) idk how he can tell where I am in my cycle. /:

I almost feel as if I wasted my time and almost 60dollars and now don't even know when I'm protected again!

I'll contact my doctor soon as I'm due for a check up anyway and ask her. I generally go with the advice given to me on here and then get a second opinion- which usually just confirms it! Not sure where he got the info from either if I'm honest.

Alexalex
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 100767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What week you missed it doesn't really matter if you've been on the pill continually, because you don't have your usual ovulation cycles. Also, the instructions on most pill brands say that a single missed pill just needs to be taken as soon as you remember it- no MAP necessary. Honestly it sounds like your pharmacist doesn't really know that much about how hormonal contraception works- I'd go with what your doctor says.

If you want to be extra safe, you can always just use the backup method for the next month, but the MAP isn't going to do anything at this point except put unnecessary extra hormones into your system.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WorriedGirl11
Activist
Member # 95437

Unfortunately already took the MAP- pharmacist managed to convince me I absolutely had to take it! Not very happy to be honest.

I mentioned that since it was continuous he can't really tell- not to mention the fact that since I started my new pack on day 10 of my old pack (per doctor's orders) I wasn't on a 21 day cycle- but he insisted he was right. Don't think I'll be going back there again!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.