Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Random spotting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Random spotting
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missjuliek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After months of being on Lutera, Planned Parenthood switched me back to Sronyx and last month was my first full cycle with it. I bled normally, and afterwards, I had sex twice. All pills taken, condoms used properly, and last night, I had cramps. I have just began the third week of active pills and today when I wiped, I got brown discharge. Not a ton, but just enough for a panty liner. I never had this happen, and I highly doubt I am pregnant (the last time I had sex was about a week ago), but I never had this happen before. Would one reccommend I ask for a higher dosage pill, or do something else? I was only switching brands because they stopped carrying my brand for awhile.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anymore, there really aren't such things as "high" or "low" dose combined birth control pills. They are ALL low-dose in terms of levels of hormones, they mostly merely differ by how many micrograms of one hormone there are versus another.

But, changing pills or dosages when you have only been on a given brand for a few weeks isn't advised, because it tends to take a few packs for your body to get in the groove with a given pill.

Certainly, there's no harm in calling your prescribing physician to ask about this if you like, but what they'll likely advise is that you stick with this one for a couple more packs first before they consider switching you to something else.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missjuliek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like this is a normal thing happening. I made the mistake of googling this issue and found everything from cancer to a miscarriage.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Google is a really crappy doctor. As a rule. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

My only concern is this random bleeding is replacing my "period" that will be due at the beginning of next month. I thank you for easing my mind a bit.
Heather
Member # 3

And you won't be able to know that until you get there. It's possible, but there's no way of predicting.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

I know this sounds dumb, and forgive me, but I got to stressing late at night (don't worry, I wasn't using google or the evil yahoo answers!). I just have bad anxiety when something is not ordinary. I don't ever worry or think twice about getting my "pill period" any other month bc I know I am taking care of myself and he is doing his part in safe sex. I just have never understood how an implantation bleed is. In the past I have seen so many things from "it's brown" to "it's pink after it's brown" to "you get it anytime from 7-14 days after sex" to "you only get it when you are supposed to have your period." Help.
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really an implantation bleed will vary for each person. It is often lighter than a period. It can come around the same time as a period or it may not. I just wanted to confirm that by implantation bleed you mean the bleed some women get after falling pregnant, and not a withdrawal bleed, the "pill period" you get when taking the inactive pills in your birth control pack.

But really if you've been taking your pill and using a condom properly, your chances of being pregnant are basically nill, so you don't need to worry about implantation bleeding.

Marion

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

That is what I meant by implantation bleed. Yeah we have only had sex twice since my last bleed on the 7th of this month. (Last time was on the 19th). Both condoms were checked before and after use, and I have taken every pill. It is just feeling like I am HAVING a period with the light cramping, but I am bleeding even LESS than I do at the end of a withdrawal bleed. It would not feel odd to me had this happened last month, aka the first full month with the new brand. Thanks for the reply, you guys are awesome
CSandSourpatch
Activist
Member # 95598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSandSourpatch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missjuliek--

Maybe it will help to hear from a user who has a similar experience? I've been on the same brand (Quasense) for 18 months now, and I still get the occasional random spotting/cramping combo. I think of it like this: I can regulate what I put into my body (a pill with the same ingredients every time, except on the placebo week, of course), but I can't control or even really know what my body is doing while it's absorbing that pill--I don't know precisely how it will interact with my body and how that will manifest physically. For instance, I think I recently started syncing menstrually with my roommate, who is not on any sort of birth control--I'm just good at it, I guess. [Razz] Unless it's something really out of the ordinary, though, I tend not to worry about things like pregnancy/general pill effectiveness.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

Thanks that does help a little! I just always heard so much about spotting on the pill but it never happened with me at all except now, so that's what started the concern. I will feel a lot better once my withdrawal bleed shows up when it's due, then I know that hey this is normal and I still will have my normal bleed. Thanks again!
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

So the spotting is lighter than it was but still present. Having light back aches but that's never unusual bc I'm on my feet all day waitressing. I woke up with none in my panty liner but wiped and had bright red. I wonder why I don't even have this overnight, just in the day...
CSandSourpatch
Activist
Member # 95598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSandSourpatch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely had this, too, with light spotting/the end of my bleed. My theory is that there just isn't enough to flow out while you're inactive and lying down, as opposed to being up and active.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

Ok cool. I just was thinking about that bc I was hoping that was a sign it was ending soon. Have you ever had a breakthrough bleed lead right into a withdrawal bleed? I'm worried that this breakthrough bleed won't go away and I won't be able to tell the difference between that and the withdrawal bleed if I in fact get it
Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

quote:
Originally posted by Missjuliek:
Ok cool. I just was thinking about that bc I was hoping that was a sign it was ending soon. Have you ever had a breakthrough bleed lead right into a withdrawal bleed? I'm worried that this breakthrough bleed won't go away and I won't be able to tell the difference between that and the withdrawal bleed if I in fact get it

CSandSourpatch
Activist
Member # 95598

Oh yeah, it's totally happened. My doctor has me on an odd birth control schedule, though--6 weeks active, 1 week placebo. I used to be on 12/1, but I would break through so often and it wouldn't stop until I got my withdrawal bleed that she told me to shorten it by half.

From what I've noticed, Scarleteen's general advice is that if it looks like a period and acts like a period, you can be pretty darn sure it's a period. I've noticed that mine do tend to be slightly shorter and lighter if I've had breakthrough bleeding, but maybe it won't be the same for you. There just isn't any way to tell.

Missjuliek
Neophyte
Member # 95608

Thought I'd update on here since you all have been so supportive!

I am no longer bleeding fresh blood when I wipe. It is literally just a brown spot every oh say 7 hours. And that's it. And it's just showing in my panty liner.

I have two pills left before I start taking my placebo pills. The cramping I had is completely gone.

Positive thinking.

-Julie

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.