Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Gardasil vaccine?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gardasil vaccine?
Emilbee
Neophyte
Member # 48737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emilbee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately I've been debating in my mind whether to go to a doctor about getting the Gardasil vaccine. I've seen tons of resources recommending it to be protected from certain strains of HPV, but on the flipside, both my mother, sister, and a previous family doctor say that it's not necessary. My mother especially says that there isn't enough research backing it up, and as long as I'm not having sex with a lot of different partners it won't ever be an issue for me (I've never been sexually active, but I see that her reasoning is flawed - I only need to have sex with one person to potentially contract something). Now, I'm 18, so I can make the decision for myself, but I'm also still under my parents' insurance plan. If I ultimately decide to get the vaccine, I don't predict there being any problem with that, but right now I'm kind of on the fence about it. What do you guys think of it? And where could I get some good unbiased information about the vaccine?

Thank you very much! [Smile]

Posts: 23 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Emilbee,

You're absolutely right that engaging in sexual activity with one partner is a potential exposure. Lots of people have HPV, and a lot of them don't know it.

Here's some information on HPV, and on the vaccine, to give you more information.

The HPV Vaccine FAQ

HPV & Herpes: Why Safer Sex Isn't Always Safe Enough

The STI Files: Human Papillomavirus (HPV)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.