Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Std...from the gym...?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Std...from the gym...?
anonymous2345
Neophyte
Member # 102419

Icon 9 posted      Profile for anonymous2345     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi..i was just wondering what the chances are of getting an std from the gym...(using the machines..and showers) for example..what if i got a shower @ the gym and had my towel on the same rack as someone with genital herpes and then i used my towel to dry off with...ive been going to the gym for the last 2 weeks and now there is a strange red rash...on my...is there any chance of contracting any kind of std from going to the gym? Or could this just be dry skin/ jock itch/ or razor burn? It dosent hurt at all..but itches a little.
Can you get genital herpes from the gym or does it have to be sexual contact(touching an open sore) i read some where that genital herpes virus dosent live long so it would be nearly impossilbe o get..?

Posts: 4 | From: pa | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi anonymous,

Welcome to Scarleteen [Smile]

Herpes can be spread by sexual contact or by skin to skin contact between an infected area (or active sore) and an uninfected person. You wouldn't get it from sharing a towel rack with someone who has it.

You can read all about herpes here: The STI Files: Herpes

There's some great links to other STI information from that post too [Smile]

Have you been engaging in sexual activity at all? Unprotected sex (that is, sex without a condom - since birth control pills don't protect against STIs) obviously carries STI risk, and even if you've been having protected sex you may want to get tested (it's a good habit to get into)

Since you are experiencing discomfort, it'd be a good idea to see your doctor or pharmacist. They should be able to offer you some solutions. But it sounds to me like it isn't an STI because what you've described to me doesn't sound like an STI risk.

Cheers,

Marion

[ 01-25-2013, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: smittenkitten ]

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymous2345
Neophyte
Member # 102419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonymous2345     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Marion,

Just wanted to take the time to thank you for your quick response, i appreciate it..trust me. But to get back on topic, i have been engaging in sexual activity with my finance who was a virgin and i am 100% sure of it..so i have no worries there, also we always use condoms anyhow. I am more so worried about the gym factor..i haven't be even close to anyone at the gym as far as skin to skin contact is concerned. The only thing i can think of is if i like touched a machine or a part of the shower that someone with an std touched and then touched...below the waist when i was in the shower or going to the bathroom. I mean i havent had any other contact sexually with anyone but my finance..who was a virgin as i said before me..so my risk of having anything is pretty much impossible..correct?

Posts: 4 | From: pa | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, what you describe really isn't terribly likely.

If you're experiencing genital itching, the soundest thing to do is get to a healthcare provider to have it checked out. Do you have a healthcare provider you can go to?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymous2345
Neophyte
Member # 102419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonymous2345     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im sorry, i dont think i quite understood what you mean..( Yes, what you describe really isn't terribly likely.) Meaning that its not very likely to get something from the.gym? I do have a dr. I can go to, im just trying to avoid that if its possible..i have a high deductible insurance plan so its about $150/visit. I know health is more important and i do plan on making an appt. If it dosent clear up soon. I was just wondering what the chances are of getting an std are through non sexual activity means..(for example..gym or public restrooms). I mean i dont really see how i could have got anything because i thought i remember reading that stds cant survive outside the body long?
Thanks for all the help!

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What people are at risk for in spaces with shared towels and things, STI-wise, is pubic lice. That's really about it.

But with two weeks of redness and itching, that really is cause to see a healthcare provider.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymous2345
Neophyte
Member # 102419

Im sorry, in my original post i stated that ive been going to the gym for two weeks..this redness has only been for a few days. I plan on going to the dr. Next week if i see no change. Thanks Heather!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.