Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Depo Shot for 2 years, is there any risks?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depo Shot for 2 years, is there any risks?
TheAmberBeast
Neophyte
Member # 101023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheAmberBeast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm sure I'm just being really paranoid but, If I've been on the Depo shot for 2 years and haven't had a period for about a year and a half, what are the chances of me getting pregnant?

I've only had sex without a condom once but (this was around christmas as well), I'm still super paranoid that theres a chance because it was the first time not using anything apart from the shot.

Would you be worried about it?

Posts: 4 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI TheAmberBeast,

The shot is one of the most effective forms of birth control there is, particularly as there is much less room for user error than with other methods which rrequire daily or weekly attention. This means that the typical use and perfect use rates (for one year of use) are much closer than they are for other methods. You can take a look at the effective rates and other information here:
http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control_bingo_depo_provera

Going without a condom when another birth control method is used doesn't raise as many concerns about pregnancy as it does about possible STI (sexually transmitted infection) transmission. Have you andy your partner both recently been tested for STIs?

You know, you do always have the option of taking a pregnancy test if you are concerned. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheAmberBeast
Neophyte
Member # 101023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheAmberBeast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankyou,
I think its just my brain overthinking it. I haven't been checked but, he's the only sexual partner I've had and he's had one fairly recently (our college also do free chlamydia tests too) so, I'll probably look into one just in case when I go for my next shot.

Thankyou [Smile]

Posts: 4 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're most welcome. [Smile]

Even if your partner had only one other sexual partner, that's a sound reason for both of you to get tested.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.