Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Very Unsure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Very Unsure
worried789
Neophyte
Member # 102088

Icon 9 posted      Profile for worried789     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been on birth control for 4 months now. On the last week of my active pills, I got the flu. I threw up about 5 hours after taking an active pill, but did not throw up again, and continued taking my active pills.
I feel as if I should have been protected during my placebo week, because I did not miss one of my active pills despite the illness, and the pill I took before being sick had plenty of time to absorb. Nevertheless, I started my placebo week, got my period, started my fifth month of pills and now I am not sure that my pills will be effective until I have taken my new pills for at least 7 days.
Whenever my boyfriend and I have sex we use a condom, usually he also pulls out. I wanted to wait until I had been on the new pack for 7 days, but we only ended up waiting 5 days.
He did not pull out this time during intercourse which makes me really nervous because when I looked at the condom there seemed to be some fluid around the shaft, and not just at the tip.
If any semen leaked out of the condom from the base, is there a chance that my birth control would not be effective enough to stop pregnancy?
As I previously mentioned I took all my active pills from the previous month, I just am unsure if they successfully carried me through the placebo week due to the illness. Therefore I am also unsure if my new week is immediately effective.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI worried789 and welcome to Scarleteen,

If you took all your pills, and did not vomit any of them up (that is, right after or very soon after taking one) your cycle was not compromised.

You might find these articles about the pill helpful.

How do birth control pills really work, even during the placebo period?Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

So long as the condom was fully on your boyfriend's penis, did not slide off or break, it's unlikely there was a condom failure.

This is also the benefit of using two birth control methods: When one method isn't working or is perceived not to be working, the other method is there.

Here's some more information on doubling up on birth control methods:

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.