Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Plan B (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Plan B
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guide     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
Last night I was fingering my girlfriend with two fingers while holding penis with the same hand, I notice some white fluid that looked like cum on my two fingers that were fingering her and I freaked because I didn't know if that was my cum that came from me or that it came from her. I dont remember cumming but it looked like cum. We went and got plan b one step today around noon and she took it. Will the plan b work and keep her from getting pregnant? It had to be taken before the 24 hour mark which gives the best chance of effectiveness right?

Posts: 52 | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, plan B is at its most effective when taken within the first 24 hours -- around 89%. This means that your girlfriend's risk of pregnancy has been greatly reduced. The next step would be to wait for 2 weeks and then your girlfriend can take a pregnancy test.

However, it sounds like you think you probably didn't ejaculate -- that means the risk of pregnancy here was already fairly low. I also am not sure if there was any direct genital contact, and if there wasn't, that also reduces the risk of pregnancy.

But I suggest that you two read through this article to maybe start thinking about methods of contraception that will work for you guys, since you are beginning to take part in sexual activity that may pose a pregnancy risk (if there was genital contact). Birth Control Bingo!

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guide     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your reply! No there was any direct gential contact, I just had my penis in the same hand with my ring, pinkie, and thumb while fingering my girlfriend with my index and middle finger (sorry for being graphic). I did not rub my penis on her vagina, I don't think I was close to it, but the room was dark.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

And what would that white stuff be if it came from her?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There,

That white stuff could have been your girlfriend's vaginal discharge.

You might find this article helpful in evaluating pregnancy risks:

Pregnancy Scared?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

So as long as I didn't have my penis in her vagina, which I didn't, the pregnancy risk is very very low?
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Also she had her period maybe like 4 or 5 days before could the white stuff be a result of that?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you could perhaps use some information on vaginal discharges. Why don't you get started with this basic guide: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions?

[Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Thank you for the info, so it's normal for her to have the white discharge. I just been reading on the Internet (I know I shouldn't) and it says plan B Is 95% effective to stop pregnancy in the first 24 hours but I also read that you can still be pregnant. I'm just confused, if my girlfriend and i engaged in this act around 3 or 4 am and she took the plan b one step at around 12:30 pm or 1 pm then we are within the 95% but she could still be pregnant? Have you ever heard of anyone being pregnant still even after taking the plan b one step the next day?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like all others methods of contraception, Plan B is not 100% effective. So yes, even when taking it within 24 hours, some people will still become pregnant.

However, in order for pregnancy to happen, people have to actually engage in the kinds of sex which can create a pregnancy. When someone has not, a pregnancy is not going top occur, period.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

What would you think my risk would be from what I described earlier?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Guide,

If you read back through the conversation, you'll see that we've already answered this and given you the information you need to evaluate your own risk.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

I just want to thank you all for your help. I hope everything works out.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're most welcome. Feel free to come back if you have any other questions.

--------------------
Robin

Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

I have another question. Does the effective of plan b lower during ovulation? And I read on here that if sperm is on your fingers then goes in the vagina that the risk is Lower than having direct gential to gential sex is that right?
Heather
Member # 3

We still don't have a lot of data on how effective Plan B is or isn't during specific times of the cycle.

However, Plan B works just like combined oral contraceptive pills in that suppressing ovulation is not the ONLY way it works to prevent pregnancy, so we know that it absolutely can work even when someone who has used it is ovulating or has already ovulated in their cycle.

Per your other questions with your potential risk, I feel like it's already been made very clear there wasn't a real risk here.

For more on that, you may want to check today's advice column: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/how_do_you_avoid_getting_pregnant_after_giving_a_handjob_or_oral_sex

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Thank you
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Sorry but I have another question, after taking plan b is bleeding after the next few days a sign that it worked? If my girlfriend took it on Sunday and hasn't bled by now is that a problem? I read online that there should be bleeding after a few days of taking it and also with your period.
Heather
Member # 3

There are no "signs" Plan B worked other than someone not becoming pregnant.

Bleeding is a possible side effect, but that's all it is. Some people experience that while others don't, and it's not related to the methods effectiveness in any way.

So, I don't know where you read there "should" be bleeding, but wherever it was, that's not correct information.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Ok thank you again, I'm sorry if I'm bothering you with a lot of questions
Heather
Member # 3

It's okay to ask us these questions: that's what we're here for. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Hello back again. I just wanted to say that I remember what happen that night a little more and I remember doing the finger activity with my girlfriend then after that getting oral sex from her and cumming a lot into my pants. My question is I shouldn't be able to ejaculate that close in between right? So I think that the white stuff on my fingers had to have come from her because I came after that happened
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

HI Guide,

It really doesn't sound like this changes anything. As Heather said above, there's only a pregnancy risk when the types of sexual activities that can cause pregnancy have occurred.

Do you feel like you understand what can and can't lead to pregnancy? If not, we're happy to go over the parts that you're not quite sure about.

It sounds like you're having a lot of fear and anxiety around this. What do you think will allay that?

--------------------
Robin

Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Yes could you please go over them with me. I just feel like this because I didn't want to have any type of encounter with her vagina and my penis. It was never my intention to get sperm on my fingers and stick it in her. That's why when I saw whatever that discharge was on my fingers I freaked. Sorry if I'm stressing too much.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hey,

It's really okay. I said what I said about stress, not as a criticism, but out of concern. stress isn't any fun! [Smile]

How about you go through these two articles:
Pregnancy Scared?

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

and this link that Heather gave you already:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/how_do_you_avoid_getting_pregnant_after_giving_a_handjob_or_oral_sex

then if there's anything confusing or worrying we can go over that specifically. Sound good?

--------------------
Robin

Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Thank you for listening orrr reading this. I looked it over, and I want to ask that if sperm was on the fingers, there would have to be a lot right? So if that was so that would mean that could have the same risk as unprotected sex?
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

The article talks about semen being on soap or in water but what if it gets on your hand during intimate times?
Heather
Member # 3

Then you need to know there are possible STI risks. But sperm cells are a lot less resilient than pathogens, so it's safe to say that pregnancy is most likely a non-issue.

Might it be an issue when someone ejaculates fully onto their hand then immediately rubs it all unto someone's vulva? Yes. But it does not sound like that's at all what happened here.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Ok thank you again
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Hey just need to ask another general question: what is the likelihood that someone would get pregnant with puttin there penis in a vagina?
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guide,

As the article above says, if there is unprotected genital to genital contact there is a risk of pregnancy. If you ejaculated in the vagina obviously the risk would be much higher. Unprotected genital contact also carries the risk of STIs.

Marion

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

I'm sorry, I meant to say without penetration
Heather
Member # 3

The data we have on how often pregnancy occurs is for genital intercourse, where people's genitals are interlocked in some way.

"How far in" or "is it all the way in" and things like that aren't considerations in that data, because the factors that matter are the ones we keep talking about: IF there was direct genital-to-genital contact and IF there were seminal fluids.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Ok thank you make sense. Also this might be stupid but my girlfriend says since she has taking the plan b that her stomach feels weird and she thinks that it's because their could be a baby. Could she be able to know this?
Heather
Member # 3

If she was far enough along in a pregnancy to be having symptoms, then she'd be far enough along to take a pregnancy test and get a positive result.

It sounds like you two are having a very hard time letting go of this. So, I'd suggest she take a pregnancy test so you can both see that negative result and then let it go and move on.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.