Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Uncertain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Uncertain
AleseMiller08
Neophyte
Member # 101510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AleseMiller08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the summer, I was experiencing some yeast infection-like symptoms. I finally went in to see a doctor, and had to take a urine and swab test, as well as a pelvic exam. I was diagnosed with both a bacterial infection and a yeast infection, and was given 1 dose of Azithromycin and two Diflucan pills to get rid of the infections. I took the medication, and things started to get better.

But I am still afraid that I have something else. I did have unprotected sex this summer, and though I don't have that many symptoms right now, my discharge is still a bit off to me. I am on the birth control pill, so I don't know if that could be it. Anyways, my question is, since I had a urine and swab test performed, and a pelvic exam done, am I pretty much in the clear?

I am going back to the doctor on January 22nd, so I will find out for sure. But I am a little scared, and researching the internet isn't helping.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI AleseMiller08 and welcome to scarleteen,

Doctors don't always test for STIs unless that possibility is specifically discussed, so I would suggest asking if your doctor tested for STIs, and if they didn't, to request STI testing. During the appointment where you were diagnosed with the infections, did your doctor ask you about your sexual history?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AleseMiller08
Neophyte
Member # 101510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AleseMiller08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not during that appointment, no. But my doctor does know I was sexually active prior to the exam (like, four months before it), so I'm not sure if I was tested for STIs or not.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you're not sure if they did or not, and we can't know either, I'd suggest calling up your doctor to ask whether they did or not. And if not, like Robin said, you can ask for one then.

I'd also suggest trying to avoid researching things on the internet as much as possible, or at the very least just limit your research to sites that are reliable like medical sites. There's a lot of completely incorrect information out there and it's probably not going to help you feel better about this to read a story that you can't even be sure is true [Smile]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.