Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Getting Tested

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting Tested
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Scarleteen. Long time, no see!

I recently became sexually active, but made a very impulsive stupid decision and didn't use barrier protection with my partner each time. I use the NuvaRing and I'm not worried about pregnancy but I need to get tested for STDs. I'd really like to get it done by my GP rather than a clinic for comfort and convenience sake, but I have some kind of basic silly questions:

-Do I need to specify that I need STD testing when I make the appointment?

-Is there a ballpark range for cost with insurance?

-Will getting tested soon after exposure affect test results (will some things not show up)?

Thanks very much.

--------------------
“I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty.” --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There,

Some doctors' offices will ask you what the reason for your appointment is. There are no special preparations that need to be made for sexually transmitted infection testing, so if they ask and you're not comfortable saying,, you can tell them you need to talk to your doctor about your health. ON the other hand, if you want to get in to see your doctor soon, you'll want to communicate that to the person you talk with on the phone, and part of that may be telling them why.

Yes, most test results won't show up right away. It's recommended to wait at least a month after the last exposure, and for some infections, even longer. This article has the lowdown on testing:

Testing, Testing...

Coverage for testing really depends on what insurance you have. You could call your company and ask what the coverage is for your plan.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Robin!

--------------------
“I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty.” --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're most welcome.

Wishing you well for the appointment.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.