Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » When should I start seeing a gynecologist?

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When should I start seeing a gynecologist?
Member # 95502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d'orsday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I'm a heterosexual female in my early twenties, and I'm not sexually active at all- I'm a virgin. I'm about to leave the country for an extended period of time (over 6 months) and my access to healthcare, particularly related to sexuality, might be limited- just because of language barriers if nothing else.
I'm planning on getting a check-up from a doctor (for the first time in probably over a decade) but in thinking about my healthcare, I was wondering about seeing a gynecologist. Since I'm not sexually active, a pretty healthy person, and don't have any current concerns about my sexual health, does this mean I shouldn't worry about seeing a gynecologist or getting a pap test? None of my friends have ever seen a gynecologist or had a pap test, so I am not too concerned but I do want to be responsible for my body and my sexual health!
At what stage is it recommended to start seeing a gynecologist?

Posts: 7 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kudos to you for wanting to take care of your sexual health! It is recommended that even if you haven't yet been sexually active, you should start getting pap tests when you're 21. Regular gyn exams can start anytime after you've started menstruating, so you can go ahead and get that done too. Since you're not sexually active (and I'm not hearing that you have any pressing concerns), it probably isn't urgent, but it's a good habit to get into regardless.

Since you're in Canada, it's very likely that you won't need to see a gynecologist - in many places, your GP can also do your basic gyn exam and pap smear, and you'll only be referred to a gyn if it's necessary. If you prefer though, sexual health clinics can also do that basic gyn checkup and pap smear.

"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

  New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3