Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » This is basic, right?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This is basic, right?
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mortality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just need some reassurance... I'm feeling really guilty even though I logically know I didn't do anything really bad. I had an acquaintance over and he got really guilt-trippy when I didn't want to sleep with him. I kinda suspected sex was the major reason he came over, but I didn't realise it was the only reason.

Now I'm feeling guilty even though I know it's a real bad idea having sex if I don't really feel like it.

Posts: 122 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Mortality!

You're right: You absolutely did not do anything bad. At all. If you don't want to have sex, you're entitled to make that decision for yourself, and no one should ever (I mean, ever) try and make you feel guilty about that. I'm sorry that your acquaintance made you feel this way; he definitely should not have done that. Is this the first time this has happened? Would you like to talk more about it?

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 269 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mortality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had worse, I mostly just needed someone to tell me I was right, so thank you [Smile] similar things have happened before and usually I don't feel guilty at all, or if I do the other person backs off, apologise for making me feel guilty and gives me a hug. U guess it was a while ago since someone actively tried to guilt trip me and I wasn't expecting it.
Posts: 122 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like you may know this, Mortality, but just wanted to respond to your original post where you noted that you knew him wanting sex was a factor, but you didn't know it was the whole factor?

The thing is, if you HAD known that was the only thing on his mind and he'd come over and then you'd felt like you weren't into it and said so-- that's not any different a situation. No one ever *owes* each other their body, you know? Even if you had, say, promised to have sex with him a whole bunch of times when he arrived, but then when he got there, you no longer wanted to? Not necessarily because you didn't feel up to it, let's just say you more randomly didn't want to. You STILL don't owe him anything. Just because sometimes we find things fun and want to engage in them does in no way mean that *should* always be up and ready for those things just because we like them in other scenarios.

I think sometimes (potential) partners can forget that one of the sexiest but also most VALID parts of starting something with someone is finding them fully and hugely excited and enthusiastically consenting about what's about to happen. Although, to many people's credit, there are ALSO a lot of partners who will kind of jolt out of it, once you respond to their bullying (however subtle, that's still what it is) by saying something direct like, "I'm telling you I'm not feeling interested in that right now. Why would you want to have sex (or whatever) with me when I don't want to and it won't be fun for me- and could even make it feel awful afterwards?"
Do you think if you'd said that (or whatever you did say) to the acquaintance, and he had been more receptive and backed off, that you would still feel guilty? And are you planning to see this guy again, or..?

[ 11-24-2012, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Claire P. ]

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

I also knew I didn't want to have sex with him. I've known that since the first time I met him. If I knew sex was the only reason he would be over I'd've told him not to come. I guess I kinda feel guilty cos I feel like I should've realised that and told him not to come or something... Even though I know I'm not a mindreader and should not be expected to figure out what's going on inside someone else's head.

Thanks! Sometimes I just need someone else to tell me I'm right and that he was not acting right. I'm ridiculously easy to guilt-trip. A few years ago I probably wouldn't have been able to clearly say no and might've slept with him out if guilt and then felt horrible about it later. Now I'm almost back to normal and I won't be seeing him again!

[ 11-24-2012, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: Mortality ]

MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mortality, it's totally not your fault that this guy was interested in sleeping with you and you weren't feeling the same. No one's ever obligated to have sex with a person, whether you're aware or not of their interest in having sex with you. If you had somehow read his mind and known that he wanted to have sex with you, it wouldn't change the fact that you yourself were not feelin' it. You know? Like Claire said, the fun part is the fact that all the parties involved are whole-heartedly consenting to doing these activities together.

You did a great job in clearly expressing how you didn't want to have sex with him, and that's something you should definitely be proud of! Kudos to you on that one! [Smile]

[ 11-24-2012, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 269 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

Thanks! Most of the guilt is gone and I'm starting to get a bit mad at him. When someone says they don't want to sleep with you because of reasons the appropriate response is not to try to argue about the reasons. The reasons don't matter and no one is ever going to logic their way into someone's pants.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to see you around, Mortality, though I'm sorry this is why.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling angry about this. Of course, you're absolutely right here. Accepting a no to anything sexual really is as simple as that: you take that no for an answer. Someone who tries to guilt-trip someone into saying something besides no is someone engaging in sexual coercion.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

I'm so glad this site exists! You guys have helped me through a lot and is one of the reasons the sex I do chose to have is mostly safe both emotionally and physically.
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's a wonderful site isn't it. [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to help, Morality!
Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.