Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » STD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STD
tkcr2224
Neophyte
Member # 51539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tkcr2224         Edit/Delete Post 
I had vaginal sex almost exactly to the day today 2 months ago (60 days) and about 4 days ago I noticed that I had a painful sore on the inside of my outer labia. Its red, and stings when I touch it or wipe but other than that it doesn't bother me. I used a condom when I had sex but of course I know they can't protect you from everything. I was wondering if it could be herpes? Its only one sore, it doesn't look like a blister but more of a cut and I don't have any other signs such as swollen glands or flu like symptoms associated with a first outbreak. I do shave down there and on the weekend did seriously irritate the skin down there but i'm still worried.
Posts: 11 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi tkcr2224,

Without beings doctors, and, even if we were, without being able to examine you, we can't tell you what it is. It could be a herpes sore, or irritation from shaving, or a scratch from a fingernail, etc.

It would be best for you to get it looked at by a health care provider.

Do you have a health care provider you see for your sexual health needs? Have you had a pelvic exam and been tested for STIs (sexually transmitted infections) recently?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tkcr2224
Neophyte
Member # 51539

it's now two white blisters, i'm terrified. are there any other causes for blisters other than herpes?
Posts: 11 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't be terrified. As Robin mentioned, there are a few possible causes like inflamed hair follicles from shaving or other bacterial and viral infections. Are you able to get seen at a clinic? I think it would help to reassure you.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tkcr2224
Neophyte
Member # 51539

my family doctor changed recently but i think i'm gonna go to an STD clinic this week. I'm only 19 and i cant believe he wouldnt tell me had something.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi tkcr2224,

A lot of people don't know they have an STI. Many STIs are initially asymptomatic (without symptoms) or the symptoms are so mild at first that people don't notice them. So, if indeed your sexual partner does have an STI, he likely wouldn't have told you about it because he didn't know. This is part of how STIs are spread so easily, and is why testing is so important.

Going to a clinic this week sounds like a great idea; they'll be able to help you figure out what these blisters are, test you for a range of STIs, and figure out if what, if anything you need to do next.

Remember, too, that the skin on our vulvas is skin like any other skin, and can experience irritations, blisters, sores, etc, for non-STI-related reasons. So, again, heading to the clinic to get it checked out ASAP is the best move for your health.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tkcr2224
Neophyte
Member # 51539

it has to be spread through skin to skin contact right? i couldn't catch it from a public bathroom or forgetting to wash my hands after being out in public and wiping down there?

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.