Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Body lotion question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Body lotion question
letssea717
Neophyte
Member # 76967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for letssea717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can a body lotion that is primarily glycerin and water-based, but contains essential oils, that I use to moisturize my body and vulva possibly damage a condom? I wouldn't apply this body lotion directly to the condom, but I was just wondering if I would somehow affect its efficacy at preventing pregnancy/STDs. My theory for now would be just to not use it on my vulva, but that it would be okay to use everywhere else. Please let me know if this is accurate. Thank you!

In other words, does it matter if I put lotion on my vulva as a daily moisturizing routine, if I am planning to have sex with a condom that day? Additionally, do I need to worry about body lotion from my other body parts rubbing onto the condom?

[ 11-10-2012, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: letssea717 ]

Posts: 18 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So long as the lotion has already soaked into your body, you should be fine. That is, you're not going to want to put lotion on, then put a condom on.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd refrain from putting the lotion on your vulva if you're going to be engaging in sexual activities with a condom. Vulvas don't generally need to be moisturized anyway, and glycerin is known to contribute to yeast infections for some people, so keeping it away from constant proximity to the vagina is probably not a bad thing either.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
letssea717
Neophyte
Member # 76967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for letssea717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you!
Posts: 18 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.