Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Cervical Mucus?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cervical Mucus?
eznex
Neophyte
Member # 98988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eznex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So usually I get some sticky stuff after my period, and a lot of egg white cervical mucus when I'm ovulating. But this time, I've had extremely watery mucus--like it looks like someone's just dumped a cup of water on my underwear--and it's been all the time, starting from after my period. Sometimes it'll even feel like I got my period, but it's much too early. The last time I had my period was on Oct 20, so it'd been going on for a little more than a week. Usually my cycles are around 30 days. Is this something I should be concerned about? Is it a pregnancy symptom?
Posts: 15 | From: America | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI eznex and welcome to Scarleteen,

Large amounts of watery discharge can sometimes be a sign of some sort of infection. Since this kind of discharge is out of the ordinary for you, and has persisted for so long, I would suggest booking an appointment with a health care provider. Do you have one? If not, we can help you find one in your area.

This is not a pregnancy symmmptom. Is there something that has you concerned you might be pregnant?

Here is some more information on vaginal discharge:

Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eznex
Neophyte
Member # 98988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eznex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well kind of, but I read your rules about considering certain things before posting pregnancy scare stories. He had basically put the head in, but it was through my yoga pants and underwear, and i was also on my period so i had a tampon in. After he came from a handjob, i had to use the restroom like fifteen or twenty minutes later, and didn't wash my hands before i wiped. Is that a legitimate reason for concern?
Posts: 15 | From: America | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. Based on what you read in the articles here, does that make sense?

Do you have a health care provider you can see about this discharge?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eznex
Neophyte
Member # 98988

Yes, and yes. It's subsided a lot though... Could it just have been early ovulation?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's not looked like your typical cervical mucus you see around ovulation -- which doesn't tend to be watery, but more like egg white, thin, but tacky -- that wouldn't be my guess.

Like Robin said, that kind of change in discharge that goes on for a while -- not a couple days, but weeks, as you seem to be reporting -- is much more associated with infection, namely bacterial vaginosis.

So, our best advice if you have access to a healthcare provider, especially if you're not current with your regular reproductive healthcare anyway, would be to get it checked out. Sometimes menstrual periods can kind of right these sorts of imbalances, so if you want to wait a little while longer, that's likely fine, but if this continues at all after that, I'd say getting yourself checked out is a must.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eznex
Neophyte
Member # 98988

Okay, thank you guys very much! [Smile]
eznex
Neophyte
Member # 98988

So I was going to wait until I got my period and see if it would get better--but now I have a clear liquid discharge with very very small white clumps when I put my finger up to check. It's not really itchy, and doesn't smell like anything. Would you still say it's BV?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say it sounds like you have SOME kind of infection, and neither I nor anyone else who couldn't examine you could say which kind.

Were it me, I'd get it checked out as soon as I could.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.