Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » on birth control but started to have sex without a condom...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: on birth control but started to have sex without a condom...
ricky18
Neophyte
Member # 98906

Icon 4 posted      Profile for ricky18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm probably going to come off a bit hysteric in this, so please bear with me!

So I've been on birth control since November 2010, starting with aviane and then I had to change to orsythia this past summer. My university's pharmacy switched all aviane users to orsythia abruptly and assured us that they're basically the exact same dosage and I haven't experienced anything particularly different since I've switched.

Anyways, I take the pill at the exact same time since I've started, missing it only two or three times in the first year that I started, but I've been very good about it for the past year. My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and we've always used condoms because even though I'm on BC, we wanted to be as safe as possible.

This past weekend in the moment/we didn't have any condoms, he entered me without one. He wasn't inside me for very long before we got too scared and stopped, probably a minute max, and he didn't get in very deep, but I saw once we stopped that there was pre-cum. Despite how consistent I am about taking my BC and how he wasn't inside me for very long, I know that there's still a chance I could get pregnant.

Any advice? Am I being paranoid? This just happened yesterday afternoon so I still have time to take Plan B, should I? Has this happened to any of you before?

Help... [Frown]

Posts: 1 | From: chicago | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ricky18, and welcome to Scarleteen!

In the incident you describe above, you're using two methods of birth control together: the pill, and withdrawal. From this article http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/the_buddy_system_effectiveness_rates_for_backing_up_your_birth_control_with_a_s you can see that the effectiveness rate for that is 99.98% with perfect use and 97.84% with typical use. That means that pregnancy is really, really unlikely.

Just the pill used by itself, used correctly, is effective contraception, although you're correct that it's not perfect. Using condoms with the pill, like it sounds you usually do, is suggested so that there's still a method of contraception there (the condom) if someone makes a mistake with their pills that would make them less effective. Do you feel like you have enough information about how your pill works and how effective it is?

Whether or not to take emergency contraception is your choice, but if you've been taking your pill correctly and have no reason to think it didn't work (eg, throwing it straight back up), EC isn't going to add to your protection. The hormonal effects EC would have on your reproductive cycle are already being done by your regular pill. There's also a couple of sentences about that at the bottom of the article I linked you to above.

Just as an extra, if you're having sex, and particularly unprotected sex, it's wise to be getting regular sexual health testing and check-ups.

Does that help?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.