Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Myth?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Myth?
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m_azul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I was looking through some of my moms old books from when she was pregnant with me, and it said random stuff ya know, but a note was made inside that said "a woman can continue a pregnancy with a normal period." is this true??
Posts: 281 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's not.

Some women do experience some types of vaginal bleeding during pregnancy, and a minority can have it happen in such a way that it so resembles their periods, they mistake that bleeding for a period. But even when that happens, which again, is rare, it is not the same thing as a menstrual period, which is what happens when we shed the uterine lining (lining a developing fetus needs, so without it, no fetus can develop) because we did NOT become pregnant.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m_azul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... Interesting. But then again that stuff is like twenty years old lol... Okay, thank you. Women that bleed, is it bad bleeding like to fill a pad?
Posts: 281 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you also said it was a note someone made inside? Who the heck knows who wrote that.

Again, most women won't have bleeding when pregnant. If and when they do, unless something is wrong with the pregnancy, we'll usually be talking about light spotting, not menstrual-type flow.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Alrighty I was just curious. And you're right, it could've been a joke bc knowing my mom she got the book at a yard sale hahah
Heather
Member # 3

Or, it could have been your Mom or someone else reading simply writing something they thought was true. Or writing that because, like a lot of people, the word "period" to them meant "any bleeding from the vagina." A lot of people use period to mean that.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.