Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Another Myth(?) semen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Myth(?) semen
BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BustaEve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to bother Scarleteen with inane questions, but I heard something tonight, and 95% of me thinks it's false but since I've never heard of it before I wanted to run it past the experts.

A guy was telling me that after sex with his ex-girlfriend (they were long-term exclusive and did not use a condom), his ex would "push" the semen out. I was very puzzled by this. Can women really do this??? Surely either he was confused or the ex-girlfriend was using a euphemism or something?

Posts: 77 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure what he was talking about with "pushing" semen out. But since people with vaginas, like all people, are subject to gravity, some ejaculate will leak back out after unprotected intercourse. That is not unique to your friend's girlfriend, but just something that happens after unprotected intercourse with ejaculation.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious- did this guy explain through what means/technically how this "pushing" was happening?

There *is* a common misconception online on far less reputable sites than this one (Yahoo Answers, etc.) that "pushing out cum" is possible. It's just not- judging by the context of a number of posters, it seems the idea might be a combination of gravity (semen dripping out) and wishful thinking (imaginary superhuman ability that might cancel out a pregnancy risk).

Regardless of word technicalities, because you note that this couple did not use condoms, might I assume you are asking if it is possible to avoid pregnancy by "pushing" semen out? This would have no effect on pregnancy risk (which would be HIGH), because even if this "pushing" WAS possible, it would essentially be the same as wiping semen from the vagina after sex. And it is clear why that does not protect from pregnancy, right?

So, if the guy you were talking to was certain that "pushing" was the couple's only used method of birth control, I have some doubt whether he was in on the whole story.

[ 11-02-2012, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Claire P. ]

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear? With ANYONE, *most* ejaculate will come back out of whatever orifice it's put into, unless we're talking about the mouth and someone swallows. And that doesn't have any impact, as Claire explained, on conception.

So, it sounds like the most likely thing with what this person was telling you is that they thought that was some kind of special, shiny skill, versus what our bodies just do all by themselves, with or without effort.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heero222
Activist
Member # 27731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heero222         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BustaEve:
A guy was telling me that after sex with his ex-girlfriend (they were long-term exclusive and did not use a condom), his ex would "push" the semen out. I was very puzzled by this. Can women really do this??? Surely either he was confused or the ex-girlfriend was using a euphemism or something?

Let's assume he didn't mean all the semen is pushed out and was just remarking on something he thought was cool and not on some pregnancy prevention tip. When you have an orgasm various muscles move to cause the vagina to contract. You do not have to have an orgasm though, to cause vaginal contractions. You can intentionally cause vaginal contractions whenever you want. So technically, it would probably be more accurate to say it is "squeezed" out rather then "pushed" out. Semen is a liquid after all, so if you contract hard enough it either ends up forced farther in or it will be forced out. Not really necessary since gravity will do the work for you.

[ 11-02-2012, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: nighteyesv ]

Posts: 58 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BustaEve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all for your replies, your answers were exactly as I thought. I was just so thrown by the guy's comment that I wanted to check.

Just to clarify, they weren't using this as a form of birth control, he stated the ex-girlfriend was on the pill.

Thanks again.

Posts: 77 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.